Reports and Studies
- Immigrant-Led Organizers in Their Own Voices: Local Realities and Shared Visions
- Community Treasures: Recognizing the Contributions of Older Immigrants and Refugees
A 2008 publication by Temple University that aimed to increase our understanding of the assets, interests, and civic experiences of older immigrants and refugees and identify promising practices, opportunities, and challenges inherent in engaging older members of immigrant communities in service.
- Lessons Learned About Civic Participation Among Immigrants
Published in 2002 by the Washington Area Partnership for Immigrants.
- Civic Inequalities: Volunteerism and Community Organizations in California
Published in 2006 by the Public Policy Institute of California.
- New Voices at the Civic Table: How Six Human Service Organizations are Supporting the Civic Engagement of Community Members
Published in 2006 by the Alliance for Children and Families.
- Measuring the Impact of Civic Engagement: Tracking Outcomes in Health, Education, and Economic Security
Published in 2011 by the Alliance for Children and Families and Kellogg Foundation.
- The House We All Live In: A Report on Immigrant Civic Integration
Published in 2003 by the Carnegie Corporation.
- Nonprofit Service Organizations and Civic Engagement: Addressing Challenges and Moving Forward
Published in 2007 by Building Movement Project.
- The Political and Civic Engagement of Immigrants
A 2020 article with a chapter on the role of associations and organizations and best practices recommendations.
- Speaking for Ourselves: Civic Participation and Social Engagement Among Immigrants and Refugees in the Twin Cities
A 2015 publication by the Amherst Wilder Foundation.
- Investing in Our Communities: Strategies for Immigrant Integration
A 2007 publication by Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees that identifies six strategic pathways through which immigrants and the receiving community can work together to provide resources and opportunities and leverage the human capital that immigrants bring. Includes a Chapter on Civic Participation and Citizenship.
- Civic Participation and the Promise of Democracy
A 2004 publication by USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture that has many references to immigrant civic participation, though not exclusively focused on immigrants.
- Immigrant Civic Integration and Service Access Initiatives: City-Sized Solutions for City-Sized Needs
A 2014 report from Migration Policy Institute that looks at several city initiatives to support civic inclusion and engagement of immigrants.
- Civic Attitudes and Engagement Among Middle Eastern and North African Refugees and Immigrants in the U.S .
A 2020 article by Sara Makki Alamdari of Indiana University School of Social Work. For Immigrant Communities,
- Civic Participation Means More than Voting
A 2020 article about a survey of first- and second-generation immigrants in Chicago on voting, activism and barriers to civic participation.
- For immigrants, civic engagement is essential to success
A 2018 article on civic participation among immigrants in Philadelphia.
- Lessons from Orange County: Boosting Civic Participation
A 2020 article about an Orange County cross-issue collaborative that is supporting diverse groups in the county to work together to increase civic participation in low-income Latinx, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese communities.