Federal Register Notice for Liberia DED termination
The Federal Register Notice in connection with the administration’s decision to terminate Deferred Enforced Departure, or DED, for Liberia with a twelve-month wind-down period was published on Friday, March 30, 2018.
- Qualifications for DED protection can be found in the Presidential Memorandum of March 27, 2018.
- The last day of DED for Liberia will be March 31, 2019. Current Liberian DED holders will continue to be covered by DED during that time.
Information for maintaining work authorization:
- Employment Authorization Documents, or EADs, issued under DED with an expiration date of March 31, 2018 on the face are automatically extended for six months through Sept. 30, 2018.
- Current Liberian DED holders who wish to receive EADs through the entire DED wind-down period (through March 31, 2019), must file an Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) and pay the fee (or request a fee waiver). More information on fee waivers can be found here.
- USCIS will begin accepting applications for EADs for current Liberian DED holders as of March 30, 2018. DED holders are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to avoid gaps in employment authorization.
DED holders are encouraged to seek qualified legal assistance to help them in applying for work authorization. More information about avoiding legal services scams is available here.