Press coverage is invited for a full day of expert panels and keynote speaker, Kevin McAleenan, at the Immigration Law and Policy Conference Oct. 7
SILVER SPRING, Maryland — Press coverage is invited for a full day of expert panels and a keynote speaker — Homeland Security Acting Secretary Kevin McAleenan — at the annual Immigration Law and Policy Conference, Monday, Oct. 7. The conference will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington D.C. (near Union Station — not the main campus in Georgetown).
Panelists will include immigration and civil rights attorneys, policy experts, immigration reporters and activists. Panel discussions will cover the state of programs that the Trump administration has targeted for drastic changes, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA; Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, and asylum; how such changes have affected life at the Mexican border; and a look at the humanitarian situations in Central America that give rise to current migration trends.
The 16th annual conference is organized by the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc., the Migration Policy Institute and Georgetown University Law Center.
See a full agenda here. Among scheduled panelists this year:
- Chiara Cardoletti-Carroll, Deputy Regional Representative for the United States of America and the Caribbean, UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Muzaffar Chishti, Director, Migration Policy Institute office at NYU School of Law
- Dylan Corbett, Founding Director, Hope Border Institute
- Anthony Fontes, Assistant Professor, School of International Service, American University
- Anna Gallagher, Executive Director, CLINIC
- Kim Johnson, Director, California Department of Social Services
- Sue Kenney-Pfalzer, Director, Border and Asylum Network, HIAS
- Doris Meissner, Director, U.S. Immigration Policy Program, Migration Policy Institute
- Maureen Meyer, Director for Mexico and Mexican Rights, Washington Office on Latin America
- Lorella Praeli, Vice President, Community Change
- Julia Preston, Contributing Writer, The Marshall Project
- Joel Rose, Immigration Correspondent, National Public Radio
- David Shahoulian, Democratic Chief Counsel, House Immigration Subcommittee
- Cecillia Wang, Deputy Legal Director, American Civil Liberties Union
Press participation is free, but registration is encouraged. The number of spaces for camera crews is quite limited and advance registration for those spots is necessary. To register as working press, contact Pat Zapor at CLINIC, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Michelle Mittelstadt at MPI, email@example.com.
If you are a member of the public who would like to attend, register here.