Legislative Relief Packages
- For up-to-date information and resources regarding legislative initiatives, including USCCB’s Migration-Related Requests for COVID-19 Package 4, visit Justice for Immigrants’ webpage.
- Appropriations Act: The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 was signed by the President on Dec. 27, 2020, and provides COVID relief for mixed immigration status families. The Act provides stimulus checks to over 3 million U.S. citizens who were previously deemed ineligible for relief due to their relationship with a non-citizen parent or spouse. The bill allows the new stimulus funding of $600 per citizen adult and child while also allowing families to seek funds from the initial round of payments. For more information about this effort, please see USCCB’s COVID resources.
- CARES Act: The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Stability, or CARES Act, is a $2.2 trillion economic recovery act that was signed into law on March 27, 2020.
- Catholic Charities USA has prepared a summary of the CARES Act outlining the benefits this relief can offer, including for nonprofit agencies.
- JFI summary of Migration-Related Policies on CARES Act
- Congressional Research Service’s Legal Sidebar, Recover Rebates and Unemployment Compensation under the CARES Act: Immigration-Related Eligibility Criteria
- National Immigration Resource Center, or NILC, has prepared a summary on the impact of COVID-19 relief bills on the immigrant community.
CLINIC Affiliates: If you are a CLINIC Affiliate and need assistance resolving issues in a case, please contact our Training and Legal Support team by submitting a question to Ask the Experts at cliniclegal.org/find-legal-help/ask-experts. If you have exhausted your case resolution options for a pending case you can also contact our Advocacy team at email@example.com. You can also contact advocacy if you are encountering issues in your practice that are not addressed by measures taken by federal agencies.