Department of State (DOS)
- Presidential Proclamation: See the “Presidential Proclamations and Other White House Policies” page; the Presidential Proclamation of April 22, 2020, affects DOS operations.
- Visa Services Abroad: On March 18, 2020, the State Department announced that it is suspending routine visa services in most countries worldwide. Embassies and consulates in these countries will cancel all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. Check the website of the embassy or consulate for its current operating status. As resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide urgent and emergency visa services.
- National Visa Center (NVC): NVC has notified CLINIC that due to staffing reduction, it will be unable to respond to all inquiries received via NVC’s online inquiry tool. NVC will only respond to inquiries with urgent medical or humanitarian concerns or other necessary updates. NVC will not respond to any routine emails submitted March 27 or earlier. Emails that will not receive a specific response will receive an instruction to resubmit the inquiry if it involves an urgent medical or humanitarian situation, or a necessary case update that is still pending. Those with routine inquiries can use self-service tools such as CEAC or consult the NVC’s timeframes page. NVC’s call center remains open during its normal business hours of 7 a.m. to midnight ET.
- U.S. Citizen Services Abroad: Services to U.S. citizens continue to be available. More information is available on the Embassy’s website.
- U.S. Passport Services: Effective March 20, 2020, the State Department will only be able to offer service for passport customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.
CLINIC Affiliates: If you are a CLINIC Affiliate and need assistance resolving issues in a case, please contact our Training and Legal Support team by submitting a question to Ask the Experts at cliniclegal.org/find-legal-help/ask-experts. If you have exhausted your case resolution options for a pending case you can also contact our Advocacy team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact advocacy if you are encountering issues in your practice that are not addressed by measures taken by federal agencies.