Released Youth Legal Call Counselor
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, a program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is a non-profit law firm which provides community education and legal representation to Southern California’s most vulnerable immigrant communities. Esperanza provides legal representation to immigrants who are in detention and/or removal proceedings, and focuses on particularly complex immigration cases which may involve unaccompanied minors, adults with mental health issues, and cases with past criminal or gang history. Esperanza also provides community education programming and pro se assistance to immigrants in removal proceedings both in detained and non-detained settings. Esperanza has proudly provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Los Angeles for over 10 years. More information can be found about Esperanza at www.esperanza-la.org
Released Youth Legal Call Counselor:
Esperanza seeks a full-time Counselor to work in our Esperanza’s Call Center for Unaccompanied Minors and their Custodians and the Legal Orientation Program for Custodian of Unaccompanied Minors (LOPC.) The Counselor will be under the direct supervision of the LOPC Managing Attorney and the Program Manager. The Counselor will also work on a team with attorneys, legal assistant, and paralegals to provide legal services to released youth.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing high-volume phone line;
- Adhering to call response and referral protocols;
- Assisting with scheduling and calendaring for other LOPC sites;
- Maintaining and report client statistical data, including data entry;
- Maintaining data entry requirements by following data program techniques and procedures;
- Verifying entered client biographical information by reviewing, correcting, etc.
- Maintaining client confidence and protecting operations by keeping information confidential.
- Assisting in our office and in the Self Help Center with presentations, intake clinic, and referrals during the orientations;
- Participating in ongoing training on immigration laws, as well as social services available to unaccompanied minors and their custodians, asylees, immigrants, and clients in need;
- Performing general administrative duties, including filing, copying, note-taking, etc.;
- Providing any other administrative work needed to support Esperanza’s programs;
- Flexibility working from 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent professional training related to the position;
- Previous experience as immigration counselor/paralegal, or experience in immigration law and procedure preferred;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Experience working at a non-profit organization preferred;
- Excellent client communication skills;
- Experience working with vulnerable client populations, particularly with children, families, or clients with trauma history is a huge plus;
- Spanish language fluency is required and will be tested at time of interview;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
- Willingness to be a team-player with an attitude and aptitude for collaboration;
- Strong typing and computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Mail Merges, etc.
- Passion for social justice for immigrants and vulnerable communities required.
Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
Full Time, Non-Exempt.
40 hours/week per position.
Depends on experience (D.O.E.) + generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, sick and vacation time, and 10 paid holidays/year. All new hires are subject to a 6 month probationary period.
Deadline to Apply:
Position open until filled, early applications are encouraged.
How to apply:
Simultaneously email cover letter, resume and at least 2 references.
(1) firstname.lastname@example.org Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, and
(2) Mercedes Nunez Roldan, Program Manager for the Released Youth Program, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, email@example.com. In email subject line please place your full name, and the position you are applying for. 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Los Angeles, CA