Program Director, Immigration Removal Defense
Building One Community (B1C) – The Center for Immigrant Opportunity is a non-profit organization established in 2011 to provide a comprehensive resource center for immigrants in the Stamford, Connecticut area. Our mission is to advance the successful integration of immigrants and their families.
Our Immigration Legal Services (ILS) program, founded in 2016, provides accessible legal services to lowincome immigrants and their families so that they understand their rights and feel safe pursuing available legal options. We are expanding our removal defense program by hiring a Director of Removal Defense and adding to the management and support functions of the ILS program.
The Program Director for Immigration Removal Defense will provide direct representation to B1C clients in complex immigration cases, including removal proceedings. Representation will initially be limited to non-detained cases. The Program Director will also help build B1C's ties with other public interest legal service providers in Connecticut to provide more representation in immigration court, and assist in building public opinion in favor of assured legal representation for immigrants facing deportation. This full-time position will report to the Deputy Director of B1C.
- Represent Connecticut residents in removal proceedings before the Hartford Immigration Court, as well as potential appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals while building a sustainable removal practice
- Represent individuals in a limited number of affirmative applications (those more at risk of removal) before the asylum office of USCIS in Newark, NJ and coordinate with the affirmative practice side on potential cases involving both affirmative and defensive aspects
- Provide or coordinate representation in state court for children for whom Special Immigrant Juvenile Status is sought
- Support the staff and volunteers on the removal defense team through regular supervision, case assistance, and mentorship
- Help create guidelines for deciding which cases receive full representation, pro se assistance, or no services
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date case information in the LawLogix program database
- Provide occasional community education sessions for immigrants regarding deportation, pathways to relief, and access to legal resources
- Working with the ILS Manager, occasionally collaborate with other organizations and pro bono attorneys to help build statewide capacity to provide legal representation in deportation cases and to help build public support for widespread free legal representation
- 3 -5 years of experience in immigration law
- Significant deportation defense work
- Admitted to practice law in any state (admission in Connecticut a plus); admitted or able to be admitted to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Willingness to travel as needed to immigration court in Hartford, CT and occasionally to the asylum office in Newark, NJ using independent transportation
- English/Spanish language proficiency
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong commitment to B1C’s mission
- Appellate experience
- Experience advocating for Special Immigrant Juveniles in state court
- Proven experience supervising staff in immigration cases
- Proven ability to work both independently and in a team setting
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed; no telephone calls please.
Building One Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer