Legal Assistant- Bilingual
The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing general support to case managers with legal case management and client services in the Immigration Legal Services Program
- Complete immigration forms and prepare well written clients declarations, statements and correspondence.
- Conduct legal research and provide oral and written legal research findings.
- Maintain communication with clients and follow-up as necessary.
- Convert cases electronically, maintain high quality data entry and perform case management in the LawLogix system and Fast Visa Systems.
- Screen callers for eligibility for legal services.
- Translate documents.
- Participate as an attendee and/or presenter on workshops on immigration matters.
- Provide backup to front desk and take mail to the Post Office (as needed).
- Participate as an active team member of Catholic Charities.
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to staff and customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to proficiently communicate in English and Spanish (conversing, reading and writing).
- Ability to work independently, with a minimum of supervision, and to understand office operations.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, clearly, accurately in a proficient, professional, pleasant and effective manner.
- Ability to be creative, accurate and have attention to detail.
- Ability to process changes with short notice.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations, including low-income persons and other disadvantaged persons.
- Ability to conformably work in a faith-based environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to operate various word processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs such as: Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Acrobat Adobe Pro.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and utilize effective time management techniques to meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- Ability to create and foster an environment consistent with agency culture, mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with all segments of the community (parishes, priests, religious, laity, Catholic ministries, civic leaders and community agencies).
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and work effectively with others.
- Ability to travel throughout a 25 county service region as necessary.
Education and Trainings:
- High School Diploma or GED acceptable to Texas Education Agency.
- One (1) year of full-time wage-earning experience in clerical or administrative assistant role.
- Bilingual English-Spanish (proficient in conversing, writing, and reading).
- Valid Texas driver's license.
Business Hour and Location
Regular office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. This position may require working some evenings and weekends.
- Catholic Charities is an at-will employer.
- All buildings and vehicles owned by Catholic Charities of Central Texas are tobacco free.
- Working in a fast-paced environment with priorities and plans that may change rapidly.
- Will be exposed to religious ceremonies, conduct and speech including Catholic Christian prayer and liturgical celebrations.
- Will be required to adhere to established dress codes and conduct standards.
- Working on weekends, evenings and some holidays may be required.
- May be required to use personal or agency vehicles to drive to off-site locations through a 25 county region.
- Traveling within and outside the 25 county service region for meetings and other events may be required, and travel may include overnight lodging.