Law Clerk-Unaccompanied Minor Program
Catholic Charities and its St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance Program is seeking an Unaccompanied Minor Program Law Clerk to assists the attorneys and accredited representatives with immigration matters by meeting with clients to obtain information and documents required, provide KYR and screenings, prepare notes and documentation, organizing client case files, prepare motions, submissions, legal memorandums, petitions and applications for review by attorneys or accredited representatives and submission to DHS and EOIR. The Law Clerk assists attorneys and accredited representatives in providing representation to immigrant clients by: conducting case review and summary, client intakes and follow-up meetings; drafting correspondence, petitions, affidavits and other documents; conducting research in support of client cases; translating documents to be submitted to immigration courts and agencies, state courts, and other parties; and providing interpretation at USCIS, the asylum office, and/or other appointments, as needed. The Law Clerk will assist in maintaining and updating client case files and case management databases.
The successful candidate will be fluent in both Spanish and English, posses strong communication skills, and have excellent organizational skills.
- Research/Case Assistance: Assist attorneys and accredited representatives in conducting legal research, KYRs screenings and follow-up client interviews to collect information to provide to attorney to discern eligibility for immigration relief, prepare and update client case files and client databases, collect, compile and organize supporting documents for client cases, translate documents between Spanish and English, and draft, prepare and file correspondence and applications and petitions under the direction of attorneys or Accredited Representatives. Assist in preparing clients for hearings; age outs; and interviews; perform interpretations at USCIS, asylum office, and other interviews.
- Case Management: Maintain case information on case management systems (such as LLX, attorney spreadsheets), update attorney calendars on cases, maintain, organize and update case files of clients. Perform case management tasks on clients’ cases and records, including file progress notes, correspondence, calendars, and dockets. Maintain case management database, generate statistical report, correct data entry to provide an accurate database on client information, case processes and caseload information
- Meetings/Training: Attendance and participation is mandatory in team meetings, Cabrini staff meetings, and other agency meetings. Participate in calls and meetings organized by funders, city-wide advocacy groups, and local service providers when appropriate and helpful.
- Other: Perform other duties as assigned by the Legal Director and Managing Attorneys such as assisting with in house meetings and trainings, coordinate with community partners, engage in coalition activities, participate in staff and agency retreats, assist with special events.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Undergraduate degree
- Enrolled in an accredited law school program-1 year of course completion
MINIMUM SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Fluency in Spanish and English, including speaking, reading, and writing-required.
- Minimum of one year legal research preferred, and strong writing skills-required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills-required.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to maintain significant caseload, set priority, multitask and work under pressure and competing demands-required.
- Knowledge and proficiency in basic typing skills and computer applications such as MS Office-required.
- Demonstrates multi-cultural skills and sensitivity-required.
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information-required.
Cabrini - Houston, TX