This full-time, exempt position requires an experienced, detail-oriented immigration attorney. The attorney will work with the Executive Director and accredited representatives and will perform varied tasks during the representation process. The immigration attorney will lead the creation of a legal services program that handles family-based adjustment of status, consular processing, VAWA, U-visa, asylum, and all other forms of affirmative applications for non-detained individuals not facing removal. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to Alianza NORCO’s mission and values of advocacy and empowerment for our immigrant community.
- Provide in-depth individual consultations and affirmative case representation to immigrants before USCIS
- Conduct legal and factual research to determine participants’ legal eligibility and suitability of cases for referral or representation
- Prepare and process immigration applications accurately and efficiently, including responses to USCIS requests
- Manage caseload and maintain client files in good order, including copying applications, letters, supporting documentation, and follow up work. Maintain client and case information in the case management system
- Stay current with governmental and regulatory requirements regarding immigration policies
- Monitor adjudications, trends, and outcomes to best identify and recommend filing strategies
- Assist with community workshops and public events by engaging with community members, helping them understand immigration processes available
- For cases that fall outside of our scope, support our efforts to match as many cases as possible with free legal representation
- Develop robust processes for our immigration legal program, including intake, referrals, case management, and case lifecycle procedures
- Supervise, train and assist the staff and volunteers seeking to become DOJ accredited representatives
- Work with our Social Worker to meet clients’ social service needs
- In collaboration with staff, volunteers and other stakeholders, engage in policy and advocacy work concerning issues raised by clients and constituents
- Assist in the documentation of the program’s experiences and in the preparation of reports to funding sources
- Participate in development and fundraising efforts
- Refer clients to navigators to document testimonials and client stories to increase our power of advocacy
- Participate in Alianza NORCO staff meetings and case reviews
- Immigration attorney with 2+ years of immigration experience
- Excellent legal skills and demonstrated ability to perform detailed work
- 2 years of employment in a position with similar responsibilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills including public speaking
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with staff and volunteers
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Member of AILA
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is passionate about Alianza NORCO's vision.
- Is organized, collaborative, proactive and efficient.
- Is independent and can be trusted to meet deadlines and complete tasks.
- Is able to multitask and troubleshoot issues in a fast-paced work environment.
- Naturally conceptualizes workflow through a systems approach, thrives on innovating to make tasks more streamlined, and works quickly and accurately.
- Can easily pivot when emergent situations arise, is skilled at time management, and is able to triage to meet time-sensitive priorities.
- Is skilled at building rapport and relationships with staff, stakeholders and clients.
- Acts with courtesy, patience and poise.
About the Organization:
Alianza NORCO is a grassroots nonprofit co-founded and led by a Salvadoran immigrant with a majority immigrant team. Founded in 2017, Alianza NORCO’s mission is to strengthen and empower our immigrant community members and their families through key services, civic education, leadership development and community organization. Our goal is to be responsive to meet our community’s pressing needs while also addressing root cause and systemic inequities that prohibit immigrant residents from obtaining security, dignity and prosperity. We strive to affect change and advocate for immigrant rights at the local, state and national level to increase immigrant safety, social cohesion, and civic engagement. Our work includes:
COVID-19 Pandemic Resources - Many of the families we work alongside have been heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, both economically and healthwise. We work to connect and navigate our clients through available aid by partnering with other service and emergency relief providers.
Protection for Our Families - Our Family Preparedness community workshops empower immigrants with legal forms and access to family attorneys in order to protect their families and their assets.
SB13-251 Driver’s Licenses - Our bilingual navigators provide Driver’s License guidance to our partially documented and undocumented immigrant community. We are a trusted DMV community partner.
Legal Services - We work with legal partners to offer low-cost or pro-bono immigration legal services such as Citizenship and DACA workshops and legal referrals to immigration attorneys and DOJ-accredited representatives. The immigration attorney will complement our existing services and catalyze our legal program’s expansion.
This position is based in beautiful Fort Collins, Colorado. Our operations are hybrid (remote and in person) during the COVID-19 pandemic, but subject to change.
This position requires regular use of a computer and long periods of sitting and/or standing at a desk.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is $60,000-$70,000/annually, commensurate with experience. Our benefits include generous Paid Time Off (PTO), health insurance, professional liability insurance, payment of AILA dues and a stipend for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter, your resume, a writing sample, and a list of references to email@example.com. In your letter, explain why you want to work with Alianza NORCO and why you are a great fit for this position. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Alianza NORCO is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the importance of diversity in the workplace. We encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, members of the LGBTQ community, and other underrepresented and marginalized groups. Alianza NORCO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status or veteran status. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment free from discrimination.
Fort Collins, CO