Detention Staff Attorney
The Detention Staff Attorney will be part of a team focused on challenging the immigration system through direct representation in removal proceedings, BIA and federal circuit appeals, with an eye towards identifying issues for litigation and advocacy efforts, primarily in service of our clients who are detained in Louisiana and Mississippi. The position will be full-time and may either work out of our Memphis office or remotely in Louisiana, Mississippi or Arkansas within a five to six hour radius of central Louisiana.
- Support AIR’s legal work by handling an active caseload before immigration agencies and federal courts, both detained and non-detained, depending on need
- Communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and community
- Supervise support staff
- Participate in and collaborate in creating strategy for systemic change
- Engage in work with partner organizations to advance media outreach, advocacy, policy, and litigation
- Help maintain relationships with pro bono counsel, the private bar, partner organizations, and community groups
- Working knowledge of Spanish required, fluency strongly preferred
- A J.D. degree and admission to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction required
- 1-3 years of relevant legal experience required (clerkships count towards years of experience.)
- Prior experience working on behalf of immigrants strongly preferred
- Excellent legal strategy, analysis, drafting, and editing skills
- Excellent oral communication skills, including in both legal advocacy and broader public communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability, willingness, and energy to travel to detention centers across Louisiana and West Mississippi and reliable transportation
- A developed race and equity lens that informs your work and guides your leadership
- Commitment to supporting the development of a program that utilizes litigation, policy, and media strategy creatively in the fight for systemic chang
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this full-time position is $50,000 to $57,000 commensurate with qualifications. AIR offers excellent benefits including health insurance coverage and generous paid time off.
Advocates for Immigrant Rights (AIR) is an equal opportunity employer. AIR strongly encourages asylum seekers, immigrants, Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color (BIPOC), Latinx people, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, first-generation college students/professionals, and all marginalized individuals to apply, and recognizes the unique and valuable skills that such applicants can bring to this work.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com using the subject line “Staff Attorney Application.” The position will be open until it is filled. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advocates for Immigrant Rights (AIR)