Department of Justice Accredited Representative
Major Responsibilities: To assist individuals and families, who would not otherwise be able to afford such services, with immigration and naturalization matters, including representation before US Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State. This position encompasses direct service responsibilities.
Supervision Received: Provided by Administrator for Immigration Legal Services
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interviews clients to determine whether immigration legal relief is available.
- Provides assistance with family-based immigration visas, naturalization, waivers, asylum, temporary status renewal, victims of crimes, waivers, and other applications.
- Provide assistance with completion and direct support with the department of state, including consular processing, uploading documents to the National Visa Center, preparing visa applicants for interview, and following up with US consulates and embassies abroad as needed.
- Represents clients before USCIS Philadelphia for adjustment of status, naturalization, and other interviews.
- Assists clients in identification of documents required, and directs clients on how to obtain them.
- Refers clients to other immigration service providers, attorneys or voluntary agencies when warranted due to inability of CSS immigration services to provide appropriate assistance.
- Identifies clients non-immigration needs and makes appropriate referrals within CSS or other appropriate social service agencies
- Provides outreach and educational programs in parishes and other community locations
- Other duties as assigned
DOJ Accredited Representative Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and orientation to the philosophy of the Agency as presented in the Mission/Philosophy statements.
- Previous knowledge of immigration law and USCIS procedures to be able to properly advise clients on avenues of relief.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with co-workers, clients, and visitors; cultural sensitivity and ability to relate well and effectively in a diverse workplace and with a diverse client population.
- Ability to organize, efficiently document, and routinely update information.
- Ability to utilize legal reference materials relevant to the client's immigration and naturalization needs.
- Strong written and oral communication is required.
- Fluency in Spanish is required. Bachelor's Degree is required.