Bilingual Social Services Coordinator
About our Catholic Charities Family
We seek compassionate, talented individuals with a heart for helping others and making a positive impact on the lives of men, women, and children across our large region. People of faith helping people in need achieve self-sufficiency and live with dignity.
Unaccompanied Children Program of St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance follows the journey of migrant children who come to the United States without a parent or adult guardian, we teach them about their legal rights, we screen them for immigration relief, and we represent them in state court, USCIS and the Immigration Court to advance their claim for immigration relief and to defend them against deportation.
The Social Services Coordinator is responsible for providing needs assessment and referral for unaccompanied children clients and their families with social service needs beyond legal services.
The Expertise We’re Looking For
- You have a bachelor's degree
- You have 1-3 years of experience in a similar role
The Skills and Assets You Bring, and More
- You are fully bilingual in Spanish and English (read, write and speak)
- You have excellent interpersonal and analytical skills
- You have strong organizational skills, ability to maintain significant caseload, set priority, multitask and work under pressure and competing demands
- You have strong writing, speaking, active listening and presenting skills
- You can work as part of a team in a very fast-paced environment know of community resources for the populations served
- You have a general understanding of the needs of immigrants and demonstrates sensitivity to these needs
- You can work with the population served in crises
- You can handle and maintain confidential information
- You demonstrate knowledge and understanding of professional boundaries with clients, staff and volunteers
- You have advanced knowledge and proficiency in basic typing skills and computer applications such as MS Office
You demonstrate multi-cultural skills and sensitivity
The Value You Deliver
You join Catholic Charities and help people in southeast Texas by providing caring, compassionate services and advocating for social justice in collaboration with parishes and communities.
What you Deliver
- You conduct social service, mental health, and medical needs assessments for clients and families referred by attorneys to determine social service and support needs beyond legal services being provided. You provide initial and ongoing crisis intervention, in coordination with the legal team. You refer clients to counselors, doctors, schools, basic need assistance, and any other needs. You coordinate with the legal team in ensuring that client needs are met, including, but not limited to, assistance with housing, transportation, translation, counseling, health services, accessing public benefits. Update the legal team (attorneys, paralegals, and legal assistants) on the status of social work cases.
- You maintain a caseload of at least 40 clients. Coordinate therapy, physician, and other appointments and coordinate with the legal team to ensure holistic services. You maintain regular communication with clients.
- You attend community fairs, meetings, and other events to do outreach into the community. You research resources available in the community and develop contacts and networks to assist clients in accessing those resources. You update the legal team on all outreaches/meetings attended. You attend one attorney brown bag lunch per month.
- You participate in professional self-development via supervision and continuing education classes. You maintain a case management database and statistics.
- You participate in Charlas, program and agency community education and outreach efforts (Spanish and English), particularly as they relate to issues of immigration law, providing direct information to prospective clients, attending information sessions on asylum and deportation.
- You perform other duties as assigned by Vice President, Legal Director and Managing Attorneys such as assisting in training staff in legal and regulatory changes, and participating in coalition activities, participating in staff retreats, United Way activities, agency fairs and speaking engagements, assisting with special organizational projects/events, etc.
How Your Work Impacts our Organization
The work you do will help us advocate for the vulnerable among us, a network of support services to people of all ages and from all walks of life and religious backgrounds.
Cabrini - Houston, TX