Bilingual Legal Assistant- Family Visa Program
The Family Visa Program of St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance provides persons in need due to financial and personal hardship with legal services to assist as they seek lawful status in the U.S.
The Family Visa Program of St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance provides low fee family based immigration representation to immigrants with low income. We screen clients for family based immigration eligibility and prepare and submit petitions and applications on their behalf to USCIS, AAO, CBP, DOS, BIA, and EOIR.
The Legal Assistant in the Family Visa Program works under the supervision of attorneys and DOJ Accredited Representatives to provide legal services to persons seeking primarily family based and related immigration status in the U.S.
The successful candidate will have strong communication skills, organizational skills and be detail oriented
The successful candidate will provide legal services that include the following tasks:
- Prepares and conducts screenings and intake.
- Prepares client petitions, applications, and waivers seeking family based immigration status
- Assists with legal screening to identify qualifying family based immigrants, potential affirmative legal relief, and information and documentation required in consultation with attorneys or Accredited Representatives.
The successful candidate will aid legal staff of Cabrini Center in providing representation to clients that include the following tasks:
- Assists attorneys in representation by liaising with clients, preparing client case files, immigration applications, translating documents, interpreting at client meetings and interviews at USCIS.
- Maintains client case files to ensure accurate and up-to-date information on client matters; updates case lists and calendars, maintains accurate client and case management databases, generates statistical report, corrects data entry to provide an accurate database on client information, case processes and caseload information
- Help prepare and represent clients for various interviews, requests for evidence, and NOIDs.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree, in lieu of a bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree with two years legal assistant or office management experience, required
MINIMUM SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 6 months minimum experience, experience in law office setting, working in legal services or non-profit immigration legal practice preferred
- Fully bilingual in Spanish and English (read, write and speak).
- Attention to details.
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task.
- A driver’s license.
- Knowledge and experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access) and Acobat adob
Cabrini - Houston, TX