Iowa Migrant Movement for Justice (Iowa MMJ) is a statewide membership-based legal service and advocacy organization driven and led by immigrant and refugee voices and united with allies. Iowa MMJ’s mission is to build a movement for justice led by immigrants and refugees in Iowa by providing high-quality legal services and community empowerment through organizing. We envision an Iowa that is welcoming and inclusive, where the rights of immigrants and refugees are ensured through access to legal services, their voices are heard and the issues that impact them are addressed.
The Attorney is responsible for provision of direct immigration legal services, including counsel and representation, to immigrants and their families in Iowa. Depending on experience, this position could involve supervision of legal staff, and participation in the direction of and oversight of the legal program of Iowa MMJ.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Attorney include the following:
- Maintaining a diverse caseload of immigration cases.
- Represent clients in a wide range of humanitarian and family reunification immigration matters before USCIS and the Executive Office for Immigration Review.
- Maintain client files and cases in the case management system, and prepare regular reports.
- Staff one or more Iowa MMJ regional clinics.
- Provide legal consultations at Iowa MMJ regional clinics which are held monthly or quarterly throughout the state of Iowa.
- Work closely with regional clinic coordinators and volunteers to provide high quality well-organized legal intakes at the regional clinics.
- Provide educational presentations to immigrants and to the general public regarding Iowa MMJ, and immigration legal issues.
- Participate, as appropriate, in development and fund-raising activities, and comply with all funding-based requirements.
- Depending on experience, this position may also include or grow into the following responsibilities:
- Supervision of legal staff, including other attorneys, DOJ Accredited Representatives and administrative support staff.
- Management and/or direction of legal programmatic delivery.
- Member licensed and in good standing of any state Bar.
- Strong commitment to Iowa MMJ’s mission, vision and values.
- Passionate about migrant justice with a familiarity with both the complexities and injustices of the U.S. immigration system.
- Demonstrated experience working with immigrant and refugee populations and/or people who are victims of crime, domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with diverse groups of people (including people of diverse faiths and ethical/spiritual traditions, races, ethnicities, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people).
- Ability to be flexible and self-directed while working in a high-volume, fast moving work environment.
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel statewide and/or to out-of-state events.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Proven computer skills (Microsoft office platforms, Google Drive) and ability to learn new platforms.
- Demonstrated dedication to high quality and ethical work product.
- Competency with legal and policy research.
- Ability to maintain appropriate role boundaries and to maintain appropriate professional standards of confidentiality and conduct.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem solving skills, ability to maintain accurate records.
- Commitment to client confidentiality.
- 10 or more years immigration law experience.
- Proven personnel supervisory experience.● Successful management and delegation of internal systems.
- Ability to put forward and build consensus around a vision.
- Strong public speaking ability including ability to speak with the media and decision makers.
- Ability to effectively communicate in reading and writing in languages in addition to English.
- Ability to identify a person’s individualized needs and facilitate access to appropriate community resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to working in public interest in immigration or related areas.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in a professional office environment, occasionally in a communal setting and requires some travel. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some travel is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
To apply, send resume and cover letter via email to Jody Mashek, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Des Moines (travel within and outside of the state), IA