Guidelines for Press Releases if the Administration Issues a Non-Decision on Temporary Protected Status, Triggering a Six-Month Automatic Extension
- By law, the administration must determine whether or not to extend or terminate TPS by set dates. TPS can be designated in 6, 12, or 18-month increments.
- If the administration fails to make a decision by the due date as required by law, a six-month automatic extension goes into effect.
- Visit CLINIC’s TPS webpage for a full list of countries and decision dates.
- The administration failed to make a decision on time for Honduras (which was due Nov. 6, 2017) and a six-month automatic extension went into effect. The administration stated that it did not have all the information it needed to make a decision by that date. See CLINIC’s statement on the Honduras non-decision here.
- Non-decisions leave TPS holders in a state of limbo, unsure what will happen next.
- Non-decisions cause families already facing separation and the possibility of returning to life-threatening conditions in their home countries additional pain, confusion, and anguish.
- People of faith object to this needless cruelty and call on the administration to follow the law and make timely and clear announcements on TPS.
Press Release Template if the Administration Issues a Non-Decision on Temporary Protected Status, Triggering a Six-Month Automatic Extension
Headline: [Faith organization decries administration’s indecision on Temporary Protected Status for (COUNTRY), leaving vulnerable people in limbo]
[FAITH ORGANIZATION] is dismayed by the Trump administration’s failure to make a decision by the deadline set by law on temporary protected status for [COUNTRY], triggering an automatic six-month extension. Indecisions leave TPS holders and their families in limbo, unsure of what will happen next. As people of faith, [FAITH ORGANIZATION] demand the administration not cause TPS holders needless pain, confusion, and anguish. In addition to extending TPS for 18 months for [COUNTRY] because country conditions remain unsafe, the administration should be timely and clear in delivering decisions for families that carry such serious and life-altering consequences.
[INSERT QUOTE FROM LEADER OF YOUR ORGANIZATION describing country conditions--check recent reports from the United Nations or International Office of Migration--and state that returning people to those conditions is a violation of American, moral, and faith values. Also describe the anguish families must feel not receiving timely information from the administration.]
[INSERT QUOTE FROM TPS HOLDER or family member of TPS holder in your congregation or community and what it means to be in fear of being forced to leave the U.S. and return to unsafe conditions. Also describe the impact and confusion of receiving an indecision/six-month automatic extension from the administration.]
[INSERT QUOTE FROM LEADER OF YOUR ORGANIZATION about concern with breaking up families and removing people from their communities, congregations and jobs. End by 1) calling on the administration to grant 18-month extensions for all countries where TPS holders would be at risk if returned and 2) calling on Congress to act to provide a permanent solution for TPS holders who have been in the U.S. for many years because their countries have been unsafe for many years.]