Syria TPS Federal Register Notice published on March 5, 2018
Agency Update: Federal Register Notice for Syria TPS Published
- Syria received an 18 month extension for Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, from April 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019.
- Current Syrian TPS holder EADs with an expiration date of March 31, 2018 are automatically extended for 180 days, through September 27, 2018.
- Current Syrian TPS holders with an application still pending as of March 5, 2018 do not need to file a new TPS application (Form I-821).
Procedures for re-registration:
- The 60-day re-registration period for Syrian TPS holders is from March 5, 2018 to May 4, 2018. TPS holders are encouraged to apply as early as possible during the re-registration period.
- To re-register, current TPS holders who do not have a pending application must submit the TPS application (Form I-821). TPS holders DO NOT need to pay a filing fee with Form I-821.
- Although TPS holders do not need to pay a filing fee for Form I-821, TPS holders over age 14 must submit a biometrics service fee, which is $85. Individuals unable to pay the biometrics fee may submit a request for a fee waiver (Form I-912). More information on fee waivers can be found here: www.uscis.gov/i-912
- For current Syrian TPS holders, EADs with an expiration date of March 31, 2018 on the face are automatically extended for 180 days through September 27, 2018.
- Syrian TPS holders who wish to receive work authorization through the entire TPS designation (through September 30, 2019), must file an Employment Authorization Form (I-765) and pay the fee (or request a fee waiver). More information on fee waivers can be found here: www.uscis.gov/i-912
- Syrian TPS holders seeking work authorization through September 30, 2019 are encouraged to submit Form I-765 when they submit Form I-821 and biometrics fee during the 60-day re-registration period.
- Syrian TPS holders may file for work authorization through September 30, 2019 at a later time, but risk having gaps in employment authorization.
Avoiding legal services fraud:
- TPS holders should seek qualified legal assistance regarding re-registration and beware of fraud. More information about avoiding legal services scams is available here: cliniclegal.org/notario
Learn more about re-registering for TPS and maintaining work authorization here: cliniclegal.org/resources/re-registering-tps-and-maintaining-employment-authorization