By Leya Speasmaker
CLINIC introduces the Center for Immigrant Integration, a web-based portal for integration-related resources for programs offering charitable legal immigration services. The Center seeks to promote a more purposeful, focused and strategic approach to increase immigrant integration programming within its network. The Center will do this by introducing new opportunities to programs interested in promoting integration, highlighting best practices currently in place within our network, and partnering with organizations across the nation who are offering stellar resources for integration-related activities, such as ESL classes and tax assistance preparation services.
Below are some of the resources currently available on the Center for Immigrant Integration webpage:
- 12 Ways to Promote Integration in Your Community: Integration happens most successfully at the local level. Learn several easy ways you can encourage immigrant integration within your community.
- How to Offer Tax Preparation Assistance Services at your Agency: In preparation for the 2015 tax season, listen to this webinar to learn quick and easy ways to offer tax preparation assistance services within your own agency. Learn how offering tax assistance preparation services promotes immigrant integration within your community. Three different service delivery models are discussed and explored in depth.
- Intercambio: Uniting Communities, Boulder, CO: CLINIC partners with Intercambio, a nonprofit organization in Boulder County, Colorado, to offer our network quality English as a Second Language curricula, as well as train-the-trainer materials for volunteer-based ESL programs. Intercambio offers seven levels of English as a Second Language, citizenship, English for Entrepreneurs, cultural training, computer literacy, financial literacy, and civics classes.
- Citizenship Test Preparation Program Self Assessment: Does your program offer citizenship test preparation services? Use this tool to assess the strength of the program and determine where services might be improved.
The Center for Immigrant Integration page also highlights model programs working on key integration issues. Two of these model programs currently operating within the CLINIC network are:
- Hogar Immigrant Services, Citizenship Test Preparation Program, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, Falls Church, VA
- VITA Program, Catholic Charities San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Finally, CLINIC has consolidated outside resources that will aid organizations interested in promoting immigrant integration start to offer additional services. Resources include tools and websites from other integration-focused organizations, governmental organizations, and independent research from university-based scholars. Stay tuned for exciting future resources, including a clickable map that will display the English as a Second Language, Citizenship test preparation, and tax preparation assistance services available in our network.
If you would like to offer any resources for this page, would like your program highlighted or included on our map, or would like to know more about how to develop an integration program and program performance measures, please contact Leya Speasmaker, Integration Program Manager, at email@example.com. Please visit https://cliniclegal.org/resources/immigrant-integration regularly, as the website will continue to be updated.