The White House announced on March 28, 2019 that the termination date for Deferred Enforced Departure, or DED, for Liberia is postponed for an additional year. The new termination date is March 30, 2020.
A Federal Register Notice automatically extending Liberian DED holder work authorization through Sept. 27, 2019 and containing information about how Liberian DED holders can maintain work authorization through the entire year until March 30, 2020 was published April 3, 2019.
DED extension eligibility:
Liberian nationals who have continuously resided in the United States since Oct. 1, 2002 and who held Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, on Sept. 30, 2007 are eligible for DED.
The DED extension does not apply to:
- Individuals who are ineligible for TPS for reasons set forth in section 244(c)(2)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1254a(c)(2)(B));
- Individuals whose removal the Secretary of Homeland Security determines to be in the interest of the United States;
- Individuals whose presence or activities in the United States the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds to believe would have potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States;
- Individuals who have voluntarily returned to Liberia or their country of last habitual residence outside the United States;
- Individuals who were deported, excluded, or removed before the date of this memorandum; or
- Individuals who are subject to extradition.
- Current Liberian DED Employment Authorization Documents, or EADs, with an expiration date of March 31, 2019 are automatically extended for 180 days until Sept. 27, 2019.
- Liberian DED holders who would like work authorization for the entire year must apply for a new EAD using Form I-765 and paying fees or applying for a fee waiver.
- USCIS will begin accepting DED holder applications for work authorization through March 30, 2020 starting on April 3, 2019.
- DED holders who had an application for work authorization pending as of March 31, 2019 should not file a new application. If the pending application is approved, DED holders will receive an EAD valid through March 30, 2020.
- More information about employment discrimination, I-9 verification, information about demonstrating the automatic extension at Department of Motor Vehicles, and more can be found in the Federal Register Notice.
Recommendations for DED holders: