ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to welcome immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. JFON-NE is part of the national JFON network.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION: The JFON-NE Domestic Violence (DV) Legal Service Representative is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant victims of domestic violence, human trafficking, and other violent crimes, under the direct supervision of the Legal Director. The DV Legal Service Provider works from the office in Omaha, Nebraska in coordination with clinic sites throughout the state to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights. In addition, the DV Legal Service Provider will apply for and successfully obtain Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) Accreditation after training. Accreditation will allow a qualified non-lawyer to represent individuals before Department of Homeland Security on behalf of a recognized organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- After obtaining BIA Accreditation, provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON-NE immigration legal clinics and provide direct representation to clients before the Department of Homeland Security
- Oversee JFON-NE’s DV caseload under the supervision of the JFON-NE Legal Director
- Work in Collaboration with the Domestic Violence Council and local law enforcement authorities on u-visa, t-visa, and VAWA cases
- Assist in the development of grant proposals and other funding opportunities
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a B.A. in Human Services related field and good moral character in order to apply for BIA Accreditation
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-3 years of non-profit domestic violence work experience
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Prior BIA Accreditation experience is preferred
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample by email to Charles S. Ellison at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Position to start in January of 2014