Sign up for e-news

Learn More

Login Logout Search


By Allison Posner

As of November 30, 2011, the California and Vermont service centers will once again send all original notices, including I-797 approval notices, to the representative of record according to the G-28 on file.  The Texas and Nebraska service centers will do the same on or before December 5, 2011.

By Susan Schreiber

Section 212(c) of the INA provides relief from removal to law permanent residents who are deportable for certain criminal convictions.  There are many restrictions regarding eligibility for this form of relief, but at a minimum, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

This week, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) chose to sever its 287(g) immigration enforcement partnership with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) based on extensive findings by the Department of Justice (DOJ) that MCSO had engaged in a pattern and practice of civil rights violations.  The Department of Justice found overwhelming evidence of discrimination against Latinos in this jurisdiction.  Sadly, these findings demonstrate the potential of these federal/state partnerships to serve as a conduit for racially-biased policing that devastates families and communities.  “Tying federal civil immigration enforcement to local criminal law enforcement is misguided.  It makes our communities less secure, endangers parental rights and family unity, and undermines the federal government’s ability to focus enforcement on truly dangerous criminals,” said Maria M. Odom, CLINIC’s Executive Director.  This is particularly true in states like Alabama, which have sought to criminalize the everyday lives and activities of immigrants.  Programs like 287(g) and Secure Communities can operate as a force-multiplier for these state efforts. 

 ¿Ha sufrido Ud. daños fisicos o emocionales de parte de su conyuge, padre o madre siendo ellosresidentes legales; o por su hijo o hija mayor de edad siendo ellos ciudadanos estadounidenses? Si es así, Ud. podría ser elegible para solicitar la residencia legal bajo la ley titulada : La Ley de la Violencia Contra La Mujer cuyas siglas en inglés son VAWA (VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT).