FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tessa McKenzie, Public Education Officer
(301) 565-4812 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington, D.C. – September 29, 2015 – Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC) is pleased to announce the establishment of an innovative program to create capacity for high quality charitable legal immigration services in the southeastern United States. The initiative will build a stronger community of expert service providers in largely underserved states where the population of at-risk immigrants is on the rise.
The Southeast has seen a significant influx of immigrant populations in the last decade. Between 2000 and 2009, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Mississippi collectively have seen a 24 percent increase in the number of immigrants from 31.1 million to 38.5 million.
In response to increased demand for community-based immigration legal services in the southeastern United States, CLINIC will place 12 CLINIC fellows with affiliates in 8 states. Fellows will provide legal assistance and offer a first line of defense against the unauthorized practice of law by unqualified practitioners. Funding for the fellows will be granted for at least two years starting October 1, 2015.
Jeanne Atkinson, CLINIC executive director explains, “I am delighted to place CLINIC fellows in the Southeast where they will serve a growing and dynamic immigrant population. By welcoming and fully integrating immigrants into their communities, these fellows will strengthen families and communities. Not only will the Southeast benefit from this program, but our nation will be better positioned to move forward as the contributions of more residents are recognized.”
CLINIC is committing a total of $75,000 per affiliate over the course of two years. Immigration legal service providers to which the CLINIC fellows will be assigned include:
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Atlanta, Inc. –Atlanta, GA
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans – New Orleans, LA
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh – Raleigh, NC
- Catholic Charities, Inc. – Jackson, MS
- Catholic Immigration Services - Little Rock – Little Rock, AR
- Catholic Social and Community Services, Inc. – Gulfport, MS
- Catholic Charities Bureau, Inc. – Jacksonville, FL
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama (HICA) – Birmingham, AL
- Hispanic Services Council – Tampa, FL
- Holy Cross Ministerio Hispano – Kernersville, NC
- Maxwell Street Legal Clinic (Kentucky Equal Justice Center) – Lexington, KY
- Redlands Christian Migrant Association – Immokalee, FL
The nation’s largest network of nonprofit immigration programs, CLINIC supports more than 275 affiliates located in 46 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. CLINIC promotes the dignity and protects the rights of immigrants in partnership with a dedicated network of Catholic and community legal immigration programs. For more information got o www.cliniclegal.org.