Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC)
October 10th. 2019
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
CARECEN- LA Office
2845 West Seventh St.
Los Angeles, CA 90005
This one-day training/workshop is of an advanced nature for agencies who want to complete their application for Department of Justice (DOJ) (formerly Board of Immigration Appeals) Recognition and Accreditation in order to start and sustain a nonprofit immigration legal services program. Under new regulations all groups who hold these privileges have to file to renew them. The training will offer guidance on how best to do so and how to take this opportunity to expand the number of recognized offices for your organization. Participating agencies will work with CLINIC at the workshop to begin perfecting an approvable application.
Participants will receive hands on technical support to complete an application for either DOJ initial or renewal recognition and accreditation for staff and/or volunteers to receive accreditation.
Participants will also learn:
- what Department of Justice Recognition and Accreditation (DOJ R&A) will permit your agency to do to help strengthen your community,
- what you need to do to prepare to apply or renew (including training, experience, and centralized supervision and funding if you have more than one location providing services),
- what are character and fitness requirements for DOJ accreditation,
- what the different accreditation levels (partial and full accreditation) permit non-attorneys to do in terms of immigration law practice, and how to prepare for each,
- how to prepare an immigration legal services budget for DOJ R&A,
- how to prepare or improve your immigration legal services mission statement,
- the role of immigration legal services fees to sustain and grow your program,
- case intake and management strategies,
- how to avoid the unauthorized practice of law,
- how to document your status as DOJ R&A agencies, and
- how to comply with the new record keeping requirements to retain DOJ R&A.
The training/workshop is highly interactive. Participants will leave with a clear strategy on completing their application for DOJ R&A. The training will be presented by Luis Guerra, Strategic Capacity Officer.
Registration: Intended only for grantees and sub-grantees of the California Department of Social Services Immigration Services Funding. Please indicate whether your organization is a grantee or a sub-grantee. If your organization is a sub-grantee please specify which grantee organization you work with. This training is expected to fill up quickly. Early registration is recommended.
The registration deadline is October 7th, 2019 or sooner if registration is full. For registration information, contact Luis Guerra at firstname.lastname@example.org