Project Summary: The Estamos Unidos Asylum Project is an initiative of the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. in response to the ill-conceived policies and practices that target migrants and asylum seekers at our southern border. For 30 years CLINIC has provided legal training to what has grown to be a network of over 375 affiliates, which offer legal services and information to immigrants across the United States, CLINIC will put that expertise into practice in this new outreach across the border. Estamos Unidos will rely on volunteers from across the country to increase access to information, legal services and representation for people seeking asylum in the United States. The Project provides limited legal representation and assistance to individuals that are seeking asylum in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The Volunteer Coordinator position will primarily focus on recruiting, organizing and orienting volunteers to work with the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project.
Summary Description: The Estamos Unidos Asylum Project seeks an energetic and passionate individual to serve as a contract Volunteer Coordinator. This position will be based in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the volunteer program, including recruiting, scheduling, coordinating, processing, educating and training volunteers to participate with the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be the initial point of contact for all individuals interested in volunteering and learning about the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project, and will effectively communicate the goal of the Project, the need for volunteers and the work involved. The Volunteer Coordinator will also be responsible for creating and maintaining systems for tracking, coordinating and organizing volunteers. Experience and skill as a leader and organizer of volunteers is preferred. S/he will work closely with CLINIC’s On-The-Ground (OTG) staff and also the national offices and will serve as the liaison between staff and potential volunteers, often gauging and communicating emerging issues and timely developments. At times, the pace of work is fast and the flow of inquiries and information non-stop, the Volunteer Coordinator must be able to work competently in this situation and be able to assess and balance the demand of work.
The Volunteer Coordinator will understand the role and importance of volunteers to the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project and will work towards building and fostering relationships to encourage retention and commitment from volunteers.
- Coordinate, organize and schedule volunteers in weekly shifts
- Work with other staff to coordinate staff and volunteers weekly schedules
- Maintain and revise as needed the volunteer on-line sign-up form
- Communicate with potential volunteers, share details about the project and answer logistical questions
- Collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and varying knowledge of immigration law.
- Maintain and update volunteer information in a central database available to both OTG staff and national offices
- Prepare and deliver weekly pre-orientation material and resources to volunteers
- Collect and organize confidential information from volunteers in a safe location
- Work with Staff Attorney to keep the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project running on budget
- Develop relationships with communities and organizations to attract more volunteers to the Estamos Unidos Asylum Project.
- Fulfill CLINIC’s expectations that all staff:
- Serve with integrity
- Develop innovative solutions
- Promote learning – for themselves, for their colleagues, and for our network
- Cultivate constructive relationships
- Model stewardship
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 4-year degree
- Two years of experience
- Bi-lingual, English/Spanish preferred
- Superb organizational skills and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High proficiency with Microsoft programs, specifically Excel
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task, handle multiple projects, coordinate people and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with immigration law, asylum and removal defense a plus
- Familiarity with, and passion for, immigrants’ rights, Central American Humanitarian Crisis, and ensuring the dignity of all immigrants.
- The ability to work as part of a team, as a leader and team player.
- Committed to CLINIC’s mission and impact
Email your resume and salary requirements please click on this link.