The Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), a nonprofit legal services organization, has an immediate opening for an attorney for its Defending Vulnerable Populations project. The attorney will serve as the Remote Legal Teams Supervising Attorney for a new innovative pilot in collaboration with the American Immigration Council’s Immigration Justice Campaign. The Remote Legal Teams Project seeks to develop a representation infrastructure in response to increased immigration enforcement and the isolated location of detention facilities that deters access to pro bono counsel. The Remote Legal Teams Project will serve non-citizens detained at two facilities and will focus on pro bono bond hearings, parole requests, and bond appeals, but may expand to include other removal defense work as capacity permits. The attorney will report to Senior Attorney and Project Manager Michelle Mendez and perform the following duties:
- Train the pro bono attorneys;
- Decide which cases the pro bono attorneys will represent via the project;
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, match and manage volunteers for the project and to match attorneys to cases;
- Assist with mentoring of pro bono attorneys;
- Supervise the work of pro bono attorneys and legal support staff;
- Review all bond motions, supporting documentation, and any briefs before filing; and
- Telephonically represent clients at bond hearings if the pro bono volunteer is unable to appear.
- Law degree (J.D.)
- Admission to practice law in any state and/or the District of Columbia
- 4+ years immigration law practice experience with specialty in removal defense and bond matters
- Experience supervising attorneys and reviewing work product
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in managing pro bono programs or working with pro bono attorneys
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel (approximately three times a year)
- Spanish proficiency is a plus
This is a two-year position. Location is flexible conditioned upon reliable internet and landline telephone access.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave benefits. CLINIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, minorities, immigrants are encouraged to apply.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements. Submit materials to: CLINIC, Attn: Fanette Jones, at https://workforcenow.adp.com/portal/admin.jsp#, no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted directly.