ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE) is a non-profit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. JFON-NE is part of the National JFON network.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION: The JFON-NE Immigrant-Focused Medical Legal Partnership (IMLP) Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrants and their families who have significant medical needs. The IMLP Attorney will work on cases involving Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status, asylum/refugee matters, u-visas, t-visas, and family based options among others. The IMLP Attorney position is located in Omaha, Nebraska and will work in coordination with area healthcare providers to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights.
- Develop work plan and service priorities for immigrants with significant medical needs
- Provide legal counsel and advice to client/patients served by area healthcare providers, and provide direct representation to those clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Oversee assigned caseload involving the legal needs of immigrant immigrants with significant medical needs under the supervision of JFON-NE Legal Director
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted, or be willing to seek admission, to practice in Nebraska
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-2 years of non-profit work experience
- Experience in public benefits law preferred
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample by email to Charles Ellison at Charles@jfon-ne.org.
- Position will remain upon until filled; preferred start in January of 2016