Iowa Justice for Our Neighbors (Iowa JFON) is a non-profit organization and a mission of the United Methodist Church. Our mission is to welcome immigrants and refugees of all faiths into our churches and communities by providing free, high-quality immigration legal services, education, and advocacy. Iowa JFON seeks a highly motivated, self-directed professional to join their team as a Staff Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative.
- Coordinate and provide immigration legal consultation services at clinics held at sites across Iowa. This will involve travel to at least two clinic sites outside Des Moines each month. Responsibilities include direct client services as well as training and supervising volunteers.
- Provide immigration legal consultations to certain clients in special situations, such as victims of domestic violence, outside of our normal intake clinics.
- Represent low-income clients in a wide range of humanitarian and family reunification immigration matters, including family-based petitions, domestic violence-related relief, removal defense, asylum applications, special immigrant juvenile visas, deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA), temporary protected status (TPS), naturalization, refugee adjustment of status and other immigration related matters where legal representation is especially important.
- Make referrals to appropriate emergency/safety services, crime victim services and social services agencies
- Responsible for an active caseload and tracking cases via case management system. Will receive guidance from Legal Director, Senior Staff Attorney and national network of JFON attorneys.
- Build positive community environments that welcome strangers in our midst. Raise awareness on immigration issues and spread the JFON mission through educational activities in churches and the community.
- Engage in community education about basic immigration issues and immigrants’ rights.
- Build and sustain positive collaborative relationships with churches, nonprofits and other community organizations and individuals in the area of immigration. I. Promote justice within our United States system of immigration laws, policies and social practices.
- Member licensed and in good standing of any state Bar, or non-lawyer with experience in immigration law and willingness to become DOJ fully accredited
- Immigration law experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate in Spanish preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel required.
- Able to work with people of varying religious, cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Ideal candidate will have demonstrated commitment to working in public interest in immigration or related areas.
Preferred candidates will also have a passion for promoting social justice and protecting the legal rights of immigrants and refugees in our midst. Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Quality benefits package includes health insurance and PTO.
Please Email a cover letter and resume to: Sol Varisco Santini, Executive Director, email@example.com