The Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), a nonprofit organization, is seeking a Special Assistant to the Executive Director to work in its national office in Silver Spring, MD. The primary responsibility for this position will be to support the ED and staff by performing internal and external responsibilities, in compliance with strategic plan and/or ED led priorities and initiatives. The Special Assistant provides essential support to the ED in matters pertaining to internal operations, coordination of programs and service delivery, cross-sectional collaboration, and other essential areas as prescribed herein or later designated by the ED.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or communications, or related field.
- 3-5 years office experience, nonprofit preferred.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software
- Ability to prioritize and complete detailed complex work with accuracy and within time line requirements.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without or with limited supervision.
- Interest and experience in immigration issues.
Essential Job Functions:
Support to the Executive Director
- Write and edit blogs, reports, letters, and other materials on behalf of the ED
- Take on administrative tasks, including filing and managing the ED’s travel and calendar.
- Schedule and develop agendas for staff and senior staff meetings
- Represent the office and interests of the ED in internal and external meetings
- Prepare Executive Director for meetings and speaking engagements through background research, writing and PowerPoint.
- Manage general administrative tasks including scheduling, travel arrangements, financial reconciliation and communications tracking for the office of the Executive Director.
- Produce meeting materials including agendas, reports, visual presentations, and briefing papers.
- Ensure that objectives for meetings are clear and realistic and that the Executive Director is well-prepared.
- Attend key meetings to capture important information and define follow up strategies.
- Use best judgment to bring critical matters to the Executive Director's immediate attention.
Lead special projects as assigned.
Cross Sectional Activities
- Lead CLINIC cross sectional teams to deliver outstanding, comprehensive legal training, capacity building, program management, and advocacy services to CLINIC's affiliates. Ensure collaboration by convening teams, assessing areas of individual section strengths, conflicts, and overlap, and make independent recommendations to the ED. Oversee implementation and compliance with recommendations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with network leadership.
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging areas of interest to the CLINIC and its network. Make timely recommendations to the ED regarding programs or service delivery.
- With the ED, engage in the implementation of CLINIC's strategic plan or other ED led initiatives and priorities
- The Special Assistant to the Executive Director is responsible for engaging key CLINIC constituents (staff, partner agencies, board members, advisory group, Catholic Charities directors) and potential constituents, as needed, to discuss the needs of the network and obtain feedback about CLINIC’s service delivery. This engagement is meant to be sporadic and is designed to improve and maintain CLINIC’s high standards for service delivery as well as creating opportunities for the Executive Office to reaffirm CLINIC’s standing and value among the network and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate board meetings and participation of board members
- Handle select correspondence with the CLINIC’s board
- Assist in the creation of and distribute the meeting agenda for CLINIC’s board meetings and committee meetings
- Draft board meeting minutes, collect conflict of interest forms annually
- Facilitate Board meeting logistics including materials preparation, talking points, room setup, and catering.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and support agency mission, vision, value statements, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Serve in a key leadership role on the Convening Coordinating Committee; serve as the lead CLINIC staff person on organization of the annual Law and Policy Conference; and lead the planning of other agency gatherings such as the annual staff meetings, Advisory Committee meetings, and select special events.
The salary is commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package. Send letter of interest, resume, references, and salary requirements by September 30th and include in the subject line: Special Assistant to the Executive Director to Human Resources via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to CLINIC, 8757 Georgia Avenue, Suite 850, Silver Spring, MD 20910. FAX: (301) 565-4824. Visit our webpage at www.cliniclegal.org. No telephone calls, please. CLINIC is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, immigrants are encouraged to apply.