Organizational Description: The Immigrant Legal Center (ILC) is a 40+ employee non-profit law firm welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. ILC operates throughout Nebraska and southwest Iowa and is part of the national Justice For Our Neighbors (JFON) network.
Responsibilities of the position: The Senior Managing Attorney is responsible for ensuring the continued success of various assigned ILC programs by providing leadership, guidance, oversight, and technical legal support to managing and/or supervising attorneys. The Senior Managing Attorney position will be located in Omaha and will work in coordination with established community partners to provide direct legal services and promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights.
Major Duties of the Position
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for at least three key ILC programs
- Manage, mentor, and supervise the senior legal staff within each of these programs
- Provide legal counsel, advice, and direct representation to ILC clients in complex case matters before the U.S. Courts of Appeals, U.S. District Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, Immigration Courts, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Provide support, guidance, and mentorship to other program teams within ILC
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for reports as needed
- Steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted (or willing to seek admission) to practice in Nebraska
- Preferred candidate will have 3-5 years of experience in immigration law and/or complex litigation
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred, but not required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary range: $65,000 to $75,000 based upon experience
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance and 403(b) retirement plan
- Include in application: resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample.
- Submit application to Charles Ellison at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Positions will remain open until filled; Interviews will begin after January 14, 2019