CATHOLIC CHARITIES USA
POSITION: Senior Manager, Social Policy
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Social Policy
DIVISION: Programs and Services (Alexandria, VA)
Summary Description: The Senior Manager’s primary responsibility is to support the Catholic Charities USA Social Policy and Government Affairs team by providing research and analysis related to policy issues across CCUSA’s portfolio of anti-poverty and charitable priorities with a focus on immigration and refugee policies and programs.
- Provide research and analysis support to the Catholic Charities USA Member Services Department.
- Monitor key policy issues and perform research to identify potential advocacy opportunities for the organization.
- Develop, conduct, and analyze surveys to generate original research for the organization.
- Frame policy issues, develop talking points and program guidance, draft legislative testimony and correspondence and formulate social policy recommendations
- Provide innovative thinking and support development of policy proposals in support of Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA) strategic priorities.
- Work with the CCUSA Member Services Team to define and implement key strategic initiatives.
- Ensure CCUSA Social Policy and Government Affairs team has substantial research to support its policy efforts. This will primarily consist of issue research and statistical briefings, along with policy analysis and bill-tracking.
- Develop subject matter expertise on immigration and refugee programs and provide internal briefing materials as assigned to support the department’s efforts.
- Monitor key policy issues for relevant developments and opportunities to generate relevant research and content for advocacy communications.
- Attend briefings, hearings, and coalition meetings as needed to gather information and represent the organization.
- Analyze and generate reports from the Catholic Charities USA Annual Survey.
- Provide training and consultation to CCUSA staff and member agencies on accessing and using Annual Survey data and other research tools.
- Structure, conduct, and analyze special-issue surveys. Analyze quantitative and qualitative data and synthesize findings to recommend courses of action.
- Generate content for research-driven external publications.
- Communicate results and recommendations to project sponsors and senior-level audiences within CCUSA and externally.
- Partner with key staff across the organization to ensure that accurate and compelling data is integrated into marketing collateral and key communications messages.
- Provide analytically-driven problem-solving approach to strategic initiatives. Develop project approaches and detailed project plans. Manage projects according to plans.
- Contribute to overall team efforts through participation in group meetings and effective communication. Plan and facilitate meetings as needed.
- Prepare accurate, timely reports, correspondence, minutes, presentations, documents, and spreadsheets.
- Use Microsoft Office Suite programs, in particular Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Word.
- Prepare presentations, which may include Power Point (graphs and charts), Word documents, etc., as necessary.
- Respond in a timely manner to management requests for information.
- Participate as an active member of the Catholic Charities USA team, particularly to provide research support to other departments and projects as needed.
- Embrace CCUSA’s values and the behaviors that support the values.
- Experience in an immigration and refugee related program and/or policy preferred
- Experience and/or knowledge of emerging issues and challenges impacting immigration and refugee related programs and policies
- Interest and/or experience in domestic social policy issues; ability and willingness to understand and commit to CCUSA’s mission and Catholic identity
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite experience with advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills; demonstrated ability to conduct and interpret quantitative and qualitative analyses using Excel or open source statistical tools
- Experience working with large datasets and/or Census data preferred
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills; high attention to detail
- Capable of quickly learning web-based programs and tools; experience with Survey Monkey and/or data visualization programs a plus
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and team-building skills
- Ability to work with initiative, without close supervision
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Experience with project management
- Ability to work with multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment
- CCUSA Social Policy & Government Affairs Team
- CCUSA Programs and Services leads
- Research and Evaluation team
- All CCUSA Staff
- Member agencies
- Other CCUSA leadership as may be assigned
Minimum Education Required:
- BA/BS; Political science, policy, or related field*
- Masters or Juris Doctorate preferred*
Minimum Experience Required:
· Demonstrated leadership and policy/legal experience either in a paid employment position and/or in an academic setting
- Fluency in written and spoken English: Spanish or secondary language desired
Special Working Conditions:
- This position may require extended periods of standing, sitting, as well as some repetitive movements, bending and repetitive lifting of minimal weight.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please ensure to add Senior Manager, Social Policy to the subject line of the email.