Justice For Our Neighbors-Nebraska
Job Posting for Rural Capacity Building Staff Attorney
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE) is a non-profit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. JFON-NE is part of the national JFON network.
Responsibilities of the position: The JFON-NE Rural Capacity Building (RCB) Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant families in and around Lexington and Grand Island. The RCB Staff attorney will also work on identifying collaborative community partners to help build capacity for the provision of long-term immigration legal services in these communities. The RCB Staff Attorney position will be located in Lexington or Grand Island and will work in coordination with established community partners to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights to the end of promoting inclusion of the immigrant community.
DUTIES and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON-NE immigration legal clinics and provide direct representation to clients before the Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Oversee JFON-NE’s caseload involving the legal needs of clients in the targeted geographic area under the supervision of the JFON-NE Legal Director
- Work in collaboration with Nebraska Appleseed, Heartland Workers Center, Hispanos Unidos, and the Center for Rural Affairs to build capacity and promote inclusion of the immigrant community
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted, or be willing to seek admission, to practice in Nebraska
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-2 years of non-profit work experience
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and a brief writing sample by email to Charles S. Ellison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Position to start in December of 2014