The Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), a nonprofit legal services organization, has an immediate full-time opening for a Paralegal. This position performs administrative support and coordination for attorneys in the Religious Immigration Services (RIS) Section. The main functions include administrative support to the assigned Staff Attorneys, performing all administrative functions as directed, primarily related to the attorney’s caseload and case preparation. The paralegal must be extremely organized and meticulous.
The candidate will work alongside a team of experienced immigration attorneys and professionals. Will prepare and file petitions using LawLogix. Experience in preparing immigration petitions, applications, and visas is essential. The candidate should have 1 to 3 years of experience with a focus on employment-based immigration law. Must have knowledge of how to prepare, and file petitions, and case management experience using an immigration case management database system, preferably LawLogix. Experience with data entry, MS word and MS excel also required.
- Assist the attorney with the preparation of religious worker cases to be filed with USCIS, the Department of State, or the Administrative Appeals Office
- Assist the attorney with the management of client cases and files
- Assist the attorney with updating and maintaining client data, including “immigration” information, in Case Management Software (CMS)
- Assist with the preparation of petitions, applications, sponsor letters, instructions letters, etc. and compile exhibits and other supporting documentary evidence in a timely manner for attorney review
- Communicate with clients to obtain information and necessary documentation for case preparation
- Ensure proper organization and filing of client documents after case is prepared per attorney instructions
- Send completed case work to clients and file cases with USCIS and U.S. Consulates per attorney instructions
- Review client information in CMS when new client cases are retained
- Assist attorney with beginning new cases and processes in CMS
- Notify clients of case processing and updates per attorney instructions
- Ensure proper recordkeeping of immigration documents in client files
- Keep attorney fully informed of client communications and updates
- Act as a member of the Section’s convening team
- Perform all administrative duties as required by the attorney, primarily related to his/her caseload and case preparation
- Protect client’s confidential information
- Willing to understand, respect and contribute to CLINIC’s vision, values, and belief
Fulfill CLINIC’s expectations that all staff:
- Serve with integrity
- Develop innovative solutions
- Promote learning – for themselves, for their colleagues, and for our network
- Cultivate constructive relationships
- Model stewardship
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate’s degree
- One to three years of administrative or legal work experience
- One to three years of immigration law experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proven data management experience
- Experience using online Case Management Software
- Able to successfully handle problems and challenges while exercising tact and courtesy
- Experience performing internet research
- Ability to manage multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines
- Attention to detail and adherence to directions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong internal and external relationship building and service skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- This position may require extended periods of standing, sitting, as well as some repetitive movements, bending and repetitive lifting of significant weight.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key components and primary responsibilities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave benefits. CLINIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, minorities, immigrants are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION: Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. Candidates are encouraged to apply on or before January 31, 2019; however, the position will remain open until filled. FAX: (301) 565-4824, and no phone calls please. Visit our webpage at www.cliniclegal.org to review other job openings. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.