ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE) is a non-profit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. JFON-NE is part of the national JFON network.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION: The JFON-NE Immigrant Child Welfare (ICW) Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant children and their families. The ICW Staff attorney will work on SIJ, u-visa, DACA, and certain family based cases. The ICW Staff Attorney position is located in Omaha, Nebraska and will work in coordination with clinic sites throughout the state to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON-NE immigration legal clinics and provide direct representation to clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Oversee JFON-NE’s caseload involving the legal needs of immigrant children under the supervision of the JFON-NE Legal Director
- Work in collaboration with Completely KIDS to provide legal services to children being served by Completely KIDS
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted, or be willing to seek admission, to practice in Nebraska
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-3 years of non-profit family law work experience
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample by email to Charles S. Ellison at email@example.com.
- Position to start in January of 2014