The International Institute of Akron (Institute) is a nonprofit organization that provides free and low- cost legal services to detained immigrants. In collaboration with the Immigration Justice Campaign, a joint initiative between the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and the American Immigration Council (AIC), the Institute has an opening for a new position beginning in February 2018 to expand pro bono referral efforts and expand the reach of the Institute’s work. The fellowship is funded for one year and will remain open until filled.
The Pro Bono Coordinator’s role will have three primary components. The first and primary role of the position will be dedicated to expanding the Institute’s ability to recruit, train, and mentor volunteer attorneys to provide representation for immigrant detainees facing removal. This position will help to develop and pilot new strategies for further engaging and retaining pro bono attorneys to ensure greater access to representation for immigrants detained at the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center in Youngstown, Ohio. In coordination with the Immigration Justice Campaign, the Pro Bono Coordinator will recruit, screen, place cases with and support volunteer attorneys; track case outcomes and other metrics; and assist in the development of training and orientation materials specific to local practice. Second, the Coordinator will maintain a small direct representation practice before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) in order to stay attuned to the current practices at the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center and the Cleveland Immigration Court. Third, the Coordinator will work in collaboration with the Immigration Justice Campaign to track trends at the detention facility and the immigration court and construct advocacy strategies.
- Admission to state bar
- Demonstrated experience in immigration law, preferably in removal defense with detained populations
- Spanish proficiency/fluency strongly preferred
- Passion for the Institute’s mission and demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Strong sense of personal initiative, ability to multi-task, and interest in creative lawyering
- Excellent oral (including public speaking) and written communication skills
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Ability to comfortably and appropriately maintain and navigate relationships with governmental agencies, nonprofit providers, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated cultural competency
- Salary DOE; includes generous benefits package
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Justice Campaign Legal Fellow.” Full consideration will be given to those who apply by January 31, 2018, but applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The International Institute of Akron (IIA) is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. It is the policy of IIA to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination. IIA is committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. We encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community and other minority groups.