ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE) is a non-profit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. JFON-NE is part of the national JFON network.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION: The JFON-NE Domestic Violence (DV) Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant victims of domestic violence, human trafficking, and other violent crimes. The DV Staff Attorney works from the office in Omaha, Nebraska in coordination with clinic sites throughout the state to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON-NE immigration legal clinics and provide direct representation to clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Oversee JFON-NE’s DV caseload under the supervision of the JFON-NE Legal Director
- Work in Collaboration with the Domestic Violence Council and local law enforcement authorities on u-visa, t-visa, and VAWA cases
- Assist in the development of grant proposals and other funding opportunities
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted to practice law in any state within the U.S.
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-3 years of non-profit domestic violence work experience
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample by email to Charles S. Ellison at email@example.com.
- Position to start in January of 2014