Director of Immigration Legal Services
Catholic Charities is a religious organization founded by the Catholic Diocese of Austin to provide direct social services to those in need. It is related to but separate from the diocese. Catholic Charities helps the Bishop of Austin fulfill Christ’s mission in Central Texas. Some positions employed in Catholic Charities of Central Texas help to extend the ministry of the Catholic Church in particular ways as outlined in the job description. Therefore, the Catholic Charities of Central Texas employee in this position is related to and assists the Catholic Church in the performance of its ministry and thereby engages in ministry for the church.
The Director of Immigration Legal Servicesis responsible for the daily operations and supervision of the office, collaborates with community and faith-based organizations, and develops advocacy initiatives to better serve the immigrant community. This position reports to the Executive Director and has wide latitude for discretionary decision making and use of independent judgment.
- Develop and operate strategic and business plans for the Immigration Legal Services Department to ensure high quality program service delivery.
- Maintain positive relationships with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Foreign Consulates, and other governmental agencies (local and state).
- Foster collaborations with community-based organizations that work with the immigrant community.
- Conduct community presentations to immigrants, parishioners, services providers, and community groups within the 25-county service area of the Diocese of Austin.
- Work with the Advancement office to maintain relations with the various news agencies in the central Texas area through written and live statements as the spokesperson for ILS to news outlets regarding various aspects of immigration law or regarding the ILS program.
- Update and maintain ILS policies and procedures.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the ILS’ staff and interns.
- Participate as an active team member of Catholic Charities.
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to staff and customers.
- Oversee daily operations of the program, including tracking budget revenue and expenditures.
- Assist the Executive Director with program planning, grant writing, and reporting ILS activities to the Board of Directors.
- Use effective and appropriate supervision and management techniques to maximize employee morale and effectiveness.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and skill in immigration laws and procedures.
- Knowledge of State law, particularly in regard to juvenile and family court matters involving minors.
- Skill in proficiently communicating, both verbally and in writing in English and Spanish.
- Skill in analytical research.
- Skill in program administration, including financial monitoring and staff supervision.
- Ability to advocate for immigrant rights and Catholic Social Teachings
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations, including culturally diverse as well as low-income persons and other disadvantaged persons.
- Ability to conformably work in a faith-based environment.
- Ability to operate various word processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and utilize effective time management techniques to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
Education and Trainings:
- Master’s Degree in legal, social work or other public interest field of study from an accredited American university or equivalent in a foreign country.
- Doctorate of Juris Prudence and current license to practice immigration law in the United States preferred.
- 3 (three) years of full time wage earning immigration experience.
- Previous administrative experience managing an immigration legal program preferred.
- Bilingual English-Spanish (proficient in conversing, reading, and writing).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be certified in Diocese of Austin EIM within 60 days of employment, and maintain certification throughout the employment period.
Catholic Charities of Central Texas only accepts online applications. To apply, please visit our website http://ccctx.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php