POSITION TITLE: Development Director
REPORTS TO: Executive Director (ED)
WORKSITE: Omaha, Nebraska
HOURS: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM and evenings and weekends as needed
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Justice For Our Neighbors of Nebraska is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing affordable, high-quality immigration legal services, education and advocacy.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive development program which may include solicitation of major gifts, planned giving, corporate giving, annual campaigns, grants, quarterly newsletters, and events.
- Facilitate Board activities and direct Board efforts to identify prospective donors.
- Facilitate and coordinate opportunities for the JFON-NE Executive Director to meet with current and prospective donors.
- Lead Development/Public Relations Committee in the creation of a multi-faceted development strategy.
- Demonstrate a passion for JFON-NE. Prepare fundraising case statements targeting ecumenical and secular donors
- Cultivate strong donor relationships.
- Coordinate and support fundraising activities, events and programs.
- Work with JFON-NE Executive Director to manage and monitor financial data.
- Raise sufficient funds for the operation of the organization.
- Track funding opportunities and report on the status of achieving funding goals
- Manage grants from award through to project closeout
The Development Director is responsible for the creation and strategic management of a comprehensive fundraising program, to include creation of a timeline for the development cycle, and completion of planned tasks according to that timeline. The Development Director is responsible for raising funds for JFON-NE’s annual event, for special projects, and for JFON-NE operations.
II. Board Fundraising
The Development Director maintains an ongoing relationship with the JFON-NE Board of Directors, and is responsible for the facilitation of all Board development activities, and for assisting Board members with identifying prospective donors.
III. Public Relations Communication
- Maintain and oversee updates to JFON-NE website
- Maintain active online presence through social media including Facebook and Twitter
- Implement strategies established by the Development/Public Relations Committee
- Oversee the publication of semi-annual newsletter and annual report
IV. Other duties
- Participate in continuing education as recommended by the Executive Director
- Facilitate a team atmosphere by working in partnership with the JFON-NE Board of Directors and staff to promote a positive work environment
- Attend JFON-NE funded programs and other events as appropriate
- Represent JFON-NE in a positive and professional manner
- Drive to meetings as required
- Work some evenings and weekends as appropriate
- Minimum educational requirement is a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Nonprofit Administration, Communication, or Marketing. Master’s Degree is preferred. Other disciplines will be considered.
- A minimum of 2 to 4 years’ experience in an independent fundraising role; knowledge of the principles of fundraising. Nonprofit experience is a plus.
- Major gift fundraising experience.
- Ability to engage the donor community.
- Ability to create an effective case statement for the organization.
- Ability to manage and measure the success of a fundraising program.
- The ability to implement a comprehensive fundraising program, which may include annual giving, planned giving, major gift solicitation, grant writing, marketing, and crafting case statements tailored to specific donor populations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organization skills; attention to detail.
- Evidence of successful fundraising and project management experience, preferably in the Omaha area.
- Ability to motivate groups and individuals to support JFON-NE.
- High standards of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Self-starter. Must be able to work independently.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) preferred but not required
- JFON-NE respects the right of individuals to be active in the community. However, fundraising activities unrelated to JFON-NE are restricted unless advance approval is received from the JFON-NE Executive Director
Please send résumé and cover letter to Emiliano Lerda, Executive Director, at Emiliano@jfon-ne.org.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.