The Immigrant Legal Center (ILC) (formerly Justice for Our Neighbors – Nebraska (JFON-NE)) is a non-profit organization welcoming immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. ILC is part of the National JFON network.
The ILC Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant children and families. The Staff Attorney will work on cases involving Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJ), TVPRA asylum claims, u-visas, t-visas, and family based options among others. The Staff Attorney position is located in Omaha, Nebraska and will work in coordination with area non-profits to promote community education and advocacy of immigrants’ rights.
Duites and Responisblities:
- Develop work plan and service priorities for immigrant children and families
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend ILC immigration legal clinics, provide direct representation to clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as NE/IA Courts.
- Oversee assigned caseload under the supervision of ILC Child & Family Supervising Attorney
- Work in collaboration with ILC Teams and community partners to build capacity and promote inclusion of the immigrant community in the Omaha Metro area and as needed in rural communities.
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for program reports
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted, or be willing to seek admission, to practice in Nebraska
- Preferred candidate will have at least 1-2 years of non-profit work experience
- Experience practicing in Nebraska or Iowa courts preferred
- Spanish language proficiency is required
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, timely handle multiple assignments
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and faiths
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Please send resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample by email to Dorian Rojas at Dorian@ImmigrantLC.org.
- Position to start in April of 2018