Immigrant Legal Center: Staff Attorney Position
Immigrant Legal Center seeks a full-time staff attorney to help run its Child and Family program, primarily by providing direct legal representation to immigrant children and families.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to provide holistic representation to diverse and vulnerable individuals. They will be committed to achieving high-quality, client-driven results. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage with state courts, federal agencies, and local social services.
Immigrant Legal Center welcomes immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy. We are a non-profit immigration law firm that prioritizes services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, vulnerable children and families, refugees and asylum seekers, and those with acute medical needs. ILC is an affiliate of the national Justice For Our Neighbors network.
ILC is an equal opportunity employer. ILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
The Child and Family Staff Attorney provides direct legal representation to immigrant children and families. The Staff Attorney handles a complex caseload including Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, asylum claims (both affirmative and defensive), U-Visas, T-Visas, and family-based immigration. The Staff Attorney also works with Omaha-based partners to offer educational presentations. Additionally, the Staff Attorney has opportunities to advocate for policy changes that make it safe and lawful for immigrants to work, live, and thrive in the United States.
The Staff Attorney, who is based in Omaha and reports to the Child and Family Managing Attorney, is responsible for the following:
- Advising prospective clients who attend ILC legal clinics and consultations;
- Representing clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Nebraska state courts.
- Working an assigned caseload under the supervision of ILC’s Child and Family Managing Attorney.
- Educating the public in the Omaha Metro area through presentations, tabling events, and media.
- Contributing to ILC’s work in Greater Nebraska and Southwest Iowa.
- Compiling and analyzing statistical information for program reports.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
We seek candidates who are committed to serving the public interest and possess the cultural competence to represent clients of diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and faiths.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Spanish language proficiency.
- A Juris Doctorate degree.
- Admission to practice in Nebraska or the ability to be admitted in Nebraska.
- A track record of thinking critically, working independently, managing time effectively, and spearheading projects.
- A willingness to delegate administrative tasks to support staff.
- Strong oral advocacy skills.
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail.
Immigration and/or family law experience is strongly preferred.
Pay and Benefits:
- Salary range: $45,000 to $50,000 based upon experience.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- 403(b) retirement plan.
How to Apply:
- Send a resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample to Child and Family Managing Attorney Astrid Munn at email@example.com
- Writing sample should be fewer than 10 pages (an excerpt is fine) and include a summary of when it was written and for what purpose.
- Position will remain open until filled.