Department: Immigration & Hispanic Services
Reports To: Director of Immigration Services
Location: TBD (Salina / Manhattan)
Hours: Full-time: M-S (32-40 hrs/wk.)
Classification: Non-exempt (hourly)
To carry out CCNKS’ goals and objectives under the National Immigrant Empowerment Project, including but not limited to: leading the analysis and evaluation of rural, underserved and under-resourced communities to find 3-4 communities ripe for grassroots organizing efforts; planning grassroots organizing events; hiring 1 or more Community Liaisons; and supporting the long-term growth of said grassroots organizations with leadership development, community readiness and personal growth training.
Essential Functions & duties
- Travel to identified outreach communities to survey and assess immigrant populations, social justice issues and leadership structure, using agency Assessment tool, Readiness Ruler, and Resource Guide.
- Recruit and oversee 1 or more Community Liaisons to serve as key point of contact with local immigrant communities. Responsible for organizing and overseeing any other volunteers that may assist with the NIEP objectives in accordance with the agency’s established policies and procedures.
- Plan and organize community engagement opportunities including, but not limited to, community conversations, Strength-Finder programming, “lunch & learn” development sessions, mock presentations, and Community Readiness trainings.
- Provide leadership training and support to Community Liaisons.
- Perform data entry in EXCEL and/or other computer programs as required for grant funds and other monthly, quarterly and/or annual reporting requirements.
- Responsible for making internal referrals as necessary, and maintaining / preserving client confidentiality to the maximum extent possible and in compliance with any applicable laws and/or regulations.
This position oversees and supports 1 or more Community Liaisons who will steer the organizing and advocacy efforts within a targeted community. This position reports directly to the Director of Immigration & Hispanic Services.
This job will require extensive work outside a consistent office space. Much of the work will initially be performed on location in rural communities, from a vehicle or an office space of a collaborating agency. There will be a traditional work space available in both Salina and Manhattan offices for use when not traveling. Standard office equipment will include desks, filing cabinets, computers, Tablet, phones, photocopiers, fax machines, etc. Flexible work schedule that will include some nights and weekends.
The physical demands described within this paragraph are representative (and not exhaustive) of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to move; sit; the dexterity to work with objects, tools or other controls; reach and grasp objects, ascend stairs, balance; ability to reach items from floor level to above the head and communicate well with others. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move about 25 pounds. The employee must be able to read, perceive objects, and differentiate colors.
This position will require regular travel to counties in the Diocese served in the Mobile Outreach Program within approximately 100 miles from the Salina office. The agency provides a company vehicle for most travel, but this position is expected to maintain reliable transportation for occasions when use of a personal vehicle is needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to legally drive and be insurable.
Excellent time management, communication, and organizational skills. Willingness to abide by Catholic Social teachings as it impacts carrying out the duties of this position. Professional and positive approach. Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with diverse groups, staff, volunteers, board of directors and community partners. Proficient computer skills especially in programs like Word, and Excel and PowerPoint. Bilingual: Spanish & English
Required Education & Experience
High School diploma with at least 1 years’ experience working with the people of various cultures, education levels and socioeconomic status. Comfortable conversing to large groups in both Spanish and English.
Preferred Education & Experience
Some college coursework in social work, human services, leadership development, lobbying or other related field; 1+ year experience in direct social services work or human development. Skilled with MS Office suite of programs; Experience in EXCEL. Certified Translator / Interpreter – Spanish.
This job description does not constitute an all-inclusive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Employee remains responsible for all other duties as assigned. Employee shall provide all services consistent with and supportive of the philosophy and mission of Catholic Charities of Northern Kansas, Inc. Employee is responsible for avoiding involvement in the commission of any serious crime, public scandal, or conduct substantially impairing his/her professional effectiveness including openly adopting a way of life inconsistent with the Catholic moral teachings and standards.