Victim Advocacy Staff Attorneys
Washoe Legal Services (WLS), a non-profit, public interest law firm is seeking a Staff Attorney for our Victim Advocacy Unit. We at WLS are dedicated to providing experienced and diverse legal services to protect the essential needs of Northern Nevadans. WLS offers a 35 hour work week, best in class benefits package, and generous paid time off (PTO) policy along with flexibility to maintain a positive work-life balance.
Victim Advocacy Staff Attorneys provide direct legal representation to individuals who are victims of domestic violence in the Northern Nevada region. Victim Advocacy Staff Attorneys assure protection of victims’ legal rights and provide a voice for these individuals in court and other settings.
Job duties will include the following:
- Maintaining direct representation and an active case load in the areas of protection orders, divorce, custody, child support, and potentially other related matters. This includes doing your own drafting of legal documents and your own calendaring.
- Establishing a relationship with clients and maintaining regular contact for the duration of their legal actions, with specific attention to trauma-informed representation.
- Attending hearings, trials, settlement conferences, and other court functions fully prepared and actively advocating for clients.
- Presenting clinics or classes on various protection order and family law matters, as well as providing counsel and advice on such matters and referrals to suitable resources.
- Coordinating with community partners and serving as a community resource.
Excellent legal writing and communication skills a must. Must be comfortable working with victims of domestic violence, understand and employ trauma-informed lawyering, and effectively represent clients in a courtroom environment. Experience with family law issues preferred but not required. Qualified candidates must be a member of the Nevada Bar, or possess an active and good standing Bar License from any United States jurisdiction to comply with Supreme Court Rule 49.1.
Additional qualities desired:
- Ability to understand the lives and struggles confronting victims of domestic violence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. An empathetic yet effective communicator with a positive attitude, able to explain complex legal matters to clients in a manner that ensures their comprehension.
- Desire to problem-solve, make decisions efficiently, and refer clients to resources as appropriate.
- Technical skills including competent use of Word, Excel, Outlook, and database programs along with common office equipment.
- Effective time management in a challenging environment.
- Be able to take initiative and work independently, as well as part of a great team of caring individuals providing an invaluable service.
The salary is up to $66,500 a year depending on experience and qualifications. WLS Benefits Package pays 100% of the Employee Medical (2 plans to choose from), Dental, Vision, and Life plans along with paying for 75% of dependent’s benefits premium. The PTO accrual program starts accruing immediately to earn over 5 weeks of PTO a year (increase in PTO accrual after 2 years) to help promote excellent work-life balance. WLS has a 401(k) matching program, an Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Account, supplemental benefits, and of course the opportunity to gain valuable courtroom experience. If you are looking for a workplace that values your contributions and helps the community as well as gives you flexibility to have a great work-life balance then WLS may be the place for you!
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Leiga Monge at email@example.com. Applications accepted until the position is filled.