Staff Attorney - Part Time
The Staff Attorney shall also provide non-representative legal orientation services to immigration detainees at the Legal Orientation Program (LOP) at Detention Facilities in rural Louisiana. The Staff Attorney shall conduct group rights presentations and individual orientations to detainees, assist and provide support to the Managing Attorney in terms of preparation of workshops to be conducted at the facilities, fulfill reporting requirements for funders, develop pro bono network inside and outside of Louisiana, identify potential cases for such pro bono participation, and prepare materials for training pro bono counsel.
- Education: J.D. from an accredited ABA institute
- Experience: Zero (0) months to one (1) year of general immigration law practice experience – law school clinic work, externships, or other similar training may be counted towards the minimum requirement.
- Certification/Licensure: Admitted to practice law in any state or the District of Columbia, Louisiana license preferred.
- Valid Driver's License and vehicle insurance
- Completion of background checks such as driving record, criminal record, and sex offense registry, state and local police records, or national sources such as FBI and E-Verify as required by funding agencies or determined necessary by Catholic Charities and results must be satisfactory to CCDBR, its representatives, employees or agents as an essential requirement of employment.
- PREFERRED: Spanish reading, writing and speaking fluency.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office platform.
- Ability to work with diverse population and needs and handle deadlines and other court demands as needed.
- Must be able to lift 5 to 20 lbs. occasionally for 5 to 30 minutes; the position requires the employee to walk, stoop, lift, bend, squat, kneel, climb, handle, talk, drive and see for 5 minutes to an entire work day of seven (7) hours depending on the task at hand and can occur on an occasional to frequent basis. Sitting for five to six hours a day is expected for this position.
- Long distance travel by automobile is expected for a minimum of three (3) days per month.
- Occasional travel by plane may be required for continuing legal education and training purposes.
- Standing for 2-4 hours a day may be required while facilitating the LOP
- The general physical environment or surroundings in which the job must be performed shall be in a climate-controlled indoor office. Attention to detail, responding to client needs and being assertive with strong-willed persons is critical.
Essential Job Duties
Qualified applicants interested in this position should submit their resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. EOE.
Catholic Charities is a mission-based organization and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider it a privilege and an honor to serve people of all faiths and socio-economic backgrounds. Our leadership is mission-driven, energetic, disciplined and self-motivated. We value diversity, service, compassion and accountability; we hold ourselves responsible for delivering outcomes that change people’s lives and our community.
Baton Rouge, LA