Catholic Legal Services of Miami (CLS) is a non-profit organization that represents low-income immigrants without reference to their race, religion, gender, ethnic group, or other distinguishing characteristics. CLS seeks two bilingual attorneys to provide immigration representation including assisting Unaccompanied Minors and Family Units facing removal proceedings.
- Legal representation in immigration proceedings before EOIR Immigration Courts; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals; proceedings before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), including, among others, applications for asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJS) status, and/or T or U nonimmigrant status; and state court proceedings seeking orders necessary to support SIJ applications;
- Provide follow-up services to Respondents including legal screenings, self-help workshops, social services, legal and other referrals, and assistance with change of venue motions;
- Conduct legal screenings to determine eligibility for legal relief;
- Manage heavy workload dealing with complex immigration issues;
- Comply with monthly reporting to funders and regular data management;
- Participate in meetings, calls and email exchanges with stakeholders, including EOIR;
- Provide mentorship and trainings in order to recruit and train pro bono attorneys; and
- Engage in outreach and education in the area of immigrant rights.
- Licensed to practice law in Florida (but we will give consideration if barred in another state);
- Experience with immigration, especially asylum law;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations;
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish, Haitian Creole would be a plus;
- Must have excellent research and writing skills, communication skills, organizational skills, self-motivation, and an ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Must be adept at interacting with a wide variety of people and comfortable working in a busy, open work environment