The Staff Attorney (full time) works to meet the needs of indigent immigrants by providing direct representation and assistance in applying for immigration benefits before USCIS representation services for immigrants and their families facing removal proceedings at the Oakdale, Jena, and New Orleans Immigration Courts in Louisiana.
The Staff Attorney will also provide non-representative Legal Orientation Program (LOP) services to immigration detainees in the Pine Prairie ICE Processing Center and the LaSalle ICE Processing Center, both located in rural Louisiana. Travel is anticipated for a minimum of three (3) to six (6) days per month.
- Education: J.D. from an accredited ABA institute
- Preferred Experience: 6 months-2 years of immigration law practice experience – law school clinical experience, externships, or other similar training may be counted towards the minimum requirement. However, experience with criminal defense or litigation and willing to learn immigration law will also be considered.
- Certification/Licensure: Louisiana license preferred. Admitted to practice law in any state or the District of Columbia is acceptable.
- Valid driver's license and vehicle insurance
- Completion of background checks such as driving record, criminal record, and sex offense registry, state and local police records, or national sources such as FBI and E-Verify as required by funding agencies or determined necessary by Catholic Charities and results must be satisfactory to CCDBR, its representatives, employees or agents as an essential requirement of employment.
- PREFERRED: Spanish reading, writing and speaking fluency.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office platform.
- Ability to work with diverse population and needs and handle deadlines and other court demands as needed.
- Must be able to lift 5 to 20 lbs. occasionally for 5 to 30 minutes; the position requires the employee to walk, stoop, lift, bend, squat, kneel, climb, handle, talk, drive and see for 5 minutes to an entire work day of seven (7) hours depending on the task at hand and can occur on an occasional to frequent basis. Sitting for five to six hours a day is expected for this position.
- Long distance travel by automobile is expected for a minimum of three (3) days per month.
- Occasional travel by plane may be required for continuing legal education and training purposes.
- Standing for 2-4 hours a day may be required while facilitating the LOP
- The general physical environment or surroundings in which the job must be performed shall be in a climate-controlled indoor office. Attention to detail, responding to client needs and being assertive with strong-willed persons is critical.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, three references and a writing sample (less than 10 pages) to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. EOE.
Catholic Charities is a mission-based organization and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider it a privilege and an honor to serve people of all faiths and socio-economic backgrounds. Our leadership is mission-driven, energetic, disciplined and self-motivated. We value diversity, service, compassion and accountability; we hold ourselves responsible for delivering outcomes that change people’s lives and our community.