The Policy Advocate will guide CLINIC’s campaign and coalition-oriented work in multiple CLINIC priority issue areas using CLINIC’s Model of Advocacy.
At the federal level, CLINIC’s systemic advocacy work focuses on administrative advocacy. Our work is guided by our Catholic identity, counseled by our team of in-house experts, and informed by our network of over 390 network agencies. As a thought leader and top strategist in administrative advocacy, CLINIC is a first responder to immigration law and policy changes, whether fighting to hold back attacks on immigrant rights or working side-by-side with the government to build the structures that offer welcome, safety, security, and family unity to those seeking to make the United States home.
Tools of administrative advocacy involve direct government engagement, formally responding to regulatory proposals through the federal rulemaking process, providing technical expertise to members of Congress and investigatory bodies, working strategically with the media, leading campaigns and coalitions, supporting litigation efforts, building strategic partnerships, and more. CLINIC’s advocacy work follows a progression designed for maximum impact — always beginning with direct government engagement and layering strategies as that advocacy becomes exhausted or additional tactics are needed.
Most importantly, while strategies may differ depending on the issue at hand, our theory of change is unwavering: CLINIC’s work upholds the dignity and responds to the goals of directly impacted communities. As we look ahead to 2021, CLINIC will particularly focus on advocating for the rights and dignity of Black immigrants.
- Play a leadership role in CLINIC-led advocacy campaigns and coalitions, including assisting with developing and executing overarching strategy, creating campaign materials, planning government engagements, and more.
- Build advocacy issue portfolios in line with CLINIC’s priorities and in partnership with CLINIC in-house subject matter experts.
- Represent CLINIC in other coalition spaces and manage related projects.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with CLINIC affiliates, partners, and government contacts as assigned.
- Conduct policy research, draft policy papers, recommendation letters to the administration, reports, model public comments, and more.
- Develop and manage action alerts including sign on letters, public comment campaigns, and more.
- Develop talking points, op-eds, articles, press releases, and other materials and prep CLINIC staff, affiliates, clients for interviews.
- Manage CLINIC’s Phone2Action advocacy platform.
- Conduct other targeted projects that further CLINIC’s administrative advocacy priorities.
- Complete administrative tasks and other projects as assigned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and support agency mission, vision, value statements, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Willing to understand, respect and contribute to CLINIC’s vision, values, and beliefs.
- Fulfill CLINIC’s expectations that all staff:
- Serve with integrity
- Develop innovative solutions
- Promote learning — for themselves, for their colleagues, and for our network
- Cultivate constructive relationships
- Model stewardship
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Exhibit leadership skills and initiative
- Communicate effectively
- Own your work
- Teamwork and collaboration with colleagues
- Resolve conflict effectively and make effective decisions
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Accredited Representative or member in good standing with the bar of the highest court in any state or the District of Columbia.
- 2-3 years of professional experience in policy and advocacy work in the non-profit sector.
- 1-2 years background in immigration law and policy with knowledge of DHS and USCIS structure and operations.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrants’ rights and anti-racist, intersectional advocacy.
- Experience with advocacy and policy writing, including drafting policy papers, petitions, and action alerts.
- Experience with strategic communications including drafting talking points, press releases, and social media.
- Ability to integrate Catholic Social Teaching into advocacy work and materials.
- Excellent research, writing, and communications skills.
- CLINIC’s national office is based in Silver Spring, Md. However, this position will be made remote due to COVID-19 until further notice.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key components and primary responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Commitment:
CLINIC considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family responsibilities, religion, age, disability, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. CLINIC also provides “reasonable accommodations” to qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. All interested individuals, regardless of background, are encouraged to apply.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
The responsibilities listed above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff members. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and non-essential job functions are subject to modification.
Two unedited policy writing samples (for example policy paper, petition, action alert, advocacy toolkit, press releases) will be required for the application.
PLEASE SEND RESUME, COVER LETTER, AND TWO WRITING SAMPLES TO CAREERS@CLINICLEGAL.ORG
This position is REMOTE until COVID restrictions have been lifted.
Silver Spring, MD 20910