The Knoxville Office of Immigrant Services (OIS) has an immediate full-time opening for a Managing Attorney. This is a new position due to the growing demand for immigration legal services throughout East Tennessee.
The Office of Immigrant Services is a DOJ-recognized program that provides immigration legal services to immigrants and refugees in the East Tennessee region. This program offers legal assistance with family reunification, adjustment of status for refugees and asylees, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) renewals, and humanitarian services under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), and more.
The OIS Managing Attorney oversees the activities and work products of legal representatives, DOJ accredited representatives, and support staff. This position mentors and coaches legal staff as well as implement professional development. This position reports to the Program Leader and has supervisory responsibilities in multiple locations.
- Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program activities
- Direct, plan and coordinate the work of the program staff including supervision and evaluation, training, and team building
- Provide day-to-day management and supervision of legal staff
- Have oversight of legal work quality
- Manage an active caseload
- Manage the professional development of legal staff
- Provide orientation, training, oversight, and professional development to OIS legal staff
- Work as part of a team to coordinate client services
- Identify gaps in services
- Must be able to move objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Must hold a valid driver license
- Must be flexible and able to work alternative schedule if required
- Must be willing to travel as required
- Must maintain any training and certification requirements
- Must support the teachings of the Catholic Church and embody the organization's mission and culture through behavior and daily interactions
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Tennessee
- Minimum of 3 years' experience with immigration law
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a management position
- Must speak Spanish and English fluently
- Demonstrated cultural competency in working with immigrant community
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong ability to think and act independently
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Experience with MicroSoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Comprehensive benefits package offered including: 35-hour work week, accrual of 17 vacation and 12 sick days annually, up to 13 paid holidays annually, health insurance, dental, vision, HSA, 403b match, pension, life insurance and LTD.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate "Managing Attorney" in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws.