6th Annual Law and Policy Conference
Each year, CLINIC partners with the Migration Policy Institute and Georgetown University Law Center to host the Law and Policy Conference.
This year's conference is themed: Prospects and Preparations for Immigration Reform. It is held at Georgetown University Law Center, Bernard P. McDonough Hall in the Hart Auditorium, 600 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC.
The conference offers law and policy analysis and discussion on cutting-edge immigration issues. Featured panelists include high-ranking government officials, academics, advocates, and other immigration experts.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
8:15 a.m. - Registration
9 a.m. - Welcome by Dean T. Alexander Aleinikoff, Georgetown University Law Center
Plenary I: Bringing Immigration Policymaking into the 21st Century
Session Moderator: Andrew Schoenholtz, Deputy Director, Institute for the Study of International Migration, Georgetown University.
- Donald Kerwin, vice president for programs, Migration Policy Institute
- Tara Magner, consultant to the Chairman of the US Sentate Committee on the Judiciary Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont
- Esther A. Olavarria, deputy assistant secretary for policy, Department of Homeland Security
10:15 a.m. - Break
10:30 a.m. - Plenary II: Prospects for Immigration Reform - What to Expect from Washington?
Session Moderator: Doris Meissner, Senior Fellow and Director of the US Immigration Policy Program, Migration Policy Institute
- Serena Hoy, senior counsel, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada
- Rick Johnson, vice president, Lake Research Partners
- John Morton, assistant secretary for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Department of Homeland Security
11:45 a.m. - Remarks by Sen. Charles E. Schumer, Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees, and Border Security
12:30 p.m. - LUNCH
1:30 p.m. - The Economic Recession and its Impact on Immigration
Demetrios G. Papademetriou, President, Migration Policy Institute
2:15 p.m. - Plenary Session III: Communities Laying the Groundwork for Immigration Reform and Beyond
Session Moderator: Mark Franken, Executive Director, CLINIC
- Josh Bernstein, director of immigration, Service Employees International Union
- Angelica Salas, director, Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles
- Diana Tellefson, executive director, United Farm Workers Foundation, Southern California
3:30 p.m. - BREAK
3:45 p.m. - Plenary Session IV: Immigrant Integration: A Full Federal Policy Agenda
Session Moderator: Michael Fix, co-director, National Center on Immigrant Integration Policy, Migration Policy Institute
- Leighton Ku, professor in the Department of Health Policy, School of Public Health and Health Services, George Washington University
- Forrest P. Chisman, executive vice president, Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy
- Peter Zamora, senior education counsel, Office of Sen. Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico.
The conference will be held in the Bernard P. McDonough Hall, Philip Hart Auditorium at the Georgeton Law Center.
Georgetown University Law Center
600 New Jersey Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001
Entrance is on 2nd Street, NW between E Street and Massachusetts Ave., NW.
Questions? Please call 202-266-1929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in reserving/purchasing table space to display your organization's material, please contact April Siruno at email@example.com or 202-266-1908.
The event is sponsored by: