Recent Blog Entries
- New Americans Campaign comes together for Citizenship Drive in Los Angeles
- Ushering in a New Season for CLINIC and our 11 Million Undocumented Neighbors
- Living in God's Image, Embracing the Immigrant
- Lent: A Reform of the Heart
- Immigration Policy and New Estimates of the U.S. Unauthorized Population
- A Lenten Call to Embrace Acts of Charity
- CLINIC Holds Unique, “Mega” Workshop Training Event in Los Angeles
- Do Immigration Laws Deny Religious Freedom?
- Joyful Anticipation
- Las Posadas: An Invitation to Hospitality
New USCIS Director, the Obama Administration on Immigration, and One Woman’s Fight for her Child: August in Immigration News
New USCIS Director, the Obama Administration on Immigration, and One Woman’s Fight for her Child: August 2009 in Immigration News
Last month was a busy month in the world of immigration-related news. There was an immigration summit with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano at the White House featuring a surprise appearance by President Obama and then there was the passing of long-time immigrant advocate Senator Ted Kennedy. While these were certainly memorable stories, the following were the top five most read stories in CLINIC’s daily Immigration News Briefings for the month of August:
- Alejandro Mayorkas, a Cuban immigrant, has been appointed as the new director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- On Friday, President Obama said that he hopes a comprehensive immigration reform bill could be drafted by the end of the year, to be debated and voted on in early 2010.
- A class action lawsuit has been filed against U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of immigrant parents who are fighting to bring their adult children to the United States.
- Time magazine discusses the story of a Mexican woman who is fighting to get her infant back after having the baby taken away by the Mississippi Department of Human Services due to her lack of knowledge of English.
- The New York Times reports on the recent toughening stance taken by the Obama administration on immigration.
Have thoughts on any of the above stories? Leave us a comment below!
You can receive the complete Immigration News Bulletin via email by signing up here.
James Porter is a Project Assistant for Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
CLINIC welcomes your thoughts and comments. When leaving comments please stay on topic and be respectful of others. CLINIC reserves the right to remove posted content that is defamatory.